• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeds of rabbits

mangobiscuit

Young Bun
I am a bunny novice and acquired my Dom bun fairly unexpectedly.......

Anyhoo, he came from a petshop. I understand that most stock in a petshop will probably be a mix of different breeds (is this correct??)

I am interested (because I'm becoming a little too obsessed with him!) to know if it is easy to look at a rabbit (and stats) and have a good guess at what breed it is?? In short, can you look at a rabbit and tell easily.

It certainly doesn't matter to me but I'd love to know what he looks like / could be a mix of.......

I've looked on websites listing breeds and am still not really that sure :-S:lol:

(Horses are my usual thing until little ball of fluff came along....can you tell I'm completely clueless:oops::oops:)

Sorry if this is a bit of a "*yawn* another stupid newbie question" - at least I admit it;)

Hello!!

Yes I will try and upload a bigger one - he was marked as a "mini lop" but my vet was unsure. He was also sold as younger than he really was....

He was about 16 wks in this pic (I think??) maybe younger. It's the only one i could find that had the tunnel to use as a comparison for size.

His ears are hilarious! They've got longer and longer!

domino012.jpg

CUTE - i'd say Dwarf Lop or a dwarf x mini lop

Plenty of good advice and ideas on here for looking after him - whats his name?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Vet could well be right, the colouring is butterfly mini lop. Has he got a tiny fringe between his ears?

Thank you everyone for your replies:wave: and the welcome!

His name is Domino and is very naughty but cute.

SOrry I have no idea what he weighs but may be able to find out from the vet when he goes for his claw clipping:p

Re the fringe......he now has a "mohecan" sort of hairstyle that spikes up between his ears:lol: (not featured in these pics as I haven't uploaded new ones yet sorry!

Thanks for all your lovely comments - I love him to bits. I never thought a rabbit could have such a BIG personality....

domino001.jpg

I wouldn't say mini lop. Definately could be dwarf lop, however if he is 16weeks in that picture he's fairly large from my experience. :wave:

Thanks guys :-D

Wow - I'm lving all your bunnies with their Santa hats on:D

Are there any kind of rabbit convention type things (or shows??/meets) that go on?

I just love looking at all the different types of rabbit - it's incredible!

Much house friendly than a horse and I they don't smell - bonus!

He's soooo sweet! Are you going to get him a friend when he's been 'done'? Beware for obsession of rabbits - it kind of becomes uncontrollable!! :shock::lol:

Thank you! I think he's very kissable:p

He's been neutered now - as he kept humping my legs and spraying everything (which is why the vet suggested he may be older than what he was advertised as as he had a nice healthy size pair of baubles!!)

I would love to get another from a rescue centre but worry about space..... although have spoken to OH about ordering these cube things to build a little Domino boudoir with different levels and extending his space upwards and outwards a little more (so maybe???? I'd LOVE to - just, like I said, a space issue)

He wasn't meant to be living with me but he kind of ended up here and sometimes I worry it's not an ideal situation for him but he seems happy enough. He flops over for his cuddles and has the run of my flat for most of the time. I would hate for him to be lonely - food for thought..... thank you:)

Back