• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help

sallyspets

New Kit
hi i have 2 rabbits and we just found out one is a boy and one is a girl as we found a baby rabbit in the huch this morning unfortunatley it was dead we do not no if there are any more comming or not i mean the doe has been fine allday we have split the male and female up now and we have the doe in side to keep an eye on her please can you offer any advice on what to do next alls will she be able to have more babbies in the future

Firstly keep an eye on her. If you bring her in overnight you wont be able to put her back outside untill Spring as the temperature change will be dangerous for her. If you have separate accomodation outside for her then you would probably be best to leave her out. If she is going to give birth to more babies then she will want to make a nest and be left alone.

Secondly please get your male neutered. You say will your female be able to have another litter so I assume you are wanting to breed them in the future. Please dont. There are 33000 rabbits in rescue centres at the minute waiting for homes. Please have both of your bunnies neutered and enjoy them as pets, not breeding machines.

This is good advice from Snowberry. Please don't breed.

Hope both your buns are well :)

Rabswood

If the male was still with her this morning then it's quite possible that she is already pregnant again.

i myself have bred a few times but not on purpus as the males are cheeky and try there best to get to the females lol. but we have had the advantage of them going to friends and were we no they are safe with a good life plus we then can pop into see them but i couldnt do this as a hobbie as me and my mum are always worried about were they are going:wave:

Hello and welcome to RU.

I do hope that your doe will be ok. She may have more kits to be born, or there could be a problem. Please give her a warm safe quiet place with bedding for her to make a nest and keep a close but discreet eye on her. If she is in any way distressed I would want her to see a vet asap.

As advised by another poster, if the buck was present when she gave birth she may well be pregnant again, note the date on your calendar, if so she will give birth again in approx 31 days time.

I don't want to sound too negative but I totally agree with the other posters, there are far too many rabbits in rescue (many of whom incidently started out as much loved new members of the family aquired from a friend who "hobby breeds") to breed more. Also, unless you know your rabbits parentage for 3 generations then you could well be breeding rabbits with inherant health problems/deformaties.

It would be possible for you to get your buck neutered right away and the doe when she has weaned any kits she might have later today. The male needs to be kept away from the female for about 6 weeks post operatively as he could still be fertile. The female would need a few weeks to recover from her op before rebonding in a neutral place can take place.

Either way you will need seperate accommodation for your 2 rabbits for some weeks yet.

May I ask how old your rabbit is please and how long you have had these two.

Back