• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good signs for a happy ending...

glossta1

Alpha Buck
It must have been meant. After the loss of her honey-coloured dwarf lop husband, our large female lop Buffy was sad. Today, from a local rescue, came Sausage, who recently lost his honey-coloured wife, also sad.

They must have been meant to meet. Both are soft, gentle giants. Both are nearly black, flecked with beige. Looking at each other must be like looking in a mirror. They were introduced in the garden with plenty of space around. They approached each other cautiously, had a good sniff and sat together for ages. Each hopped away a few feet, then hopped back together again. So far, so good.

Good vibes needed for full bonding... Any advice for next steps?

They were introduced in the garden with plenty of space around.

Generally speaking, bonding is done in an enclosed, small, neutral space - so giving them the whole garden may not be the best idea. But i'm no expert - hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help!

Thanks. What you said makes sense. Luckily, despite having lots of space to choose from, they chose to stay close and check each other out.

They're in their hutch now (large, two-tiered), and again are sitting side by side, showing cautious interest in each other.

We put Sausage (newcomer) in first, and gave a him a bit of time to acclimatise. Then we added Buffy. She ate a bit, which she usually does when she goes back home for the night, but he didn't show interest in food.

Once she'd eaten they sat side by side, which is what Buffy and Bunster used to do after a day out in the garden. They haven't mutually groomed yet - I guess that would be the surest sign. They're still sitting close now, faces almost touching. :love:

Any more views? All help and advice welcome! :)

Rabbit introductions...

Blimey, I just read the rabbit Introductions thread, and I'm realising how much easier we've had it so far... Perhaps widow Buffy and widower Sausage (both about 5 years old) know how lucky they are to have a second chance at coupledom! Is bonding of older 2nd-time-arounders known to be easier?

I'll try! I'll try...

... but I'm not very techie and it's dark out there at the moment! I'll need my teenagers to help me!

I've bonded in large spaces before - it's only been a problem if somebun ran away or chased - if they choose to interact it's fine:D

With somebuns it's love at first sight:D

Back