• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diagnosing ear problems - U/D 8th Dec

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering what method a vet would use to diagnose a suspected ear infection/ear mites - is there anything they can do other than peer down it with an otoscope?

One of Skye's ears has lopped and someone suggested it could be due to mites or an infection; I've looked down her ears with an otoscope myself and there's nothing out of the ordinary, was wondering if there are any other methods.

I will of course continue to monitor her and consult my vet for advice ;) just doing some preliminary research.

Last edited:
Some inner ear infections can't be diagnosed by looking down the ear, so just have to be treated with antibiotics in the presumption that there is an infection present.

If an upeared bun's ear has lopped, then I'd agree that ear infection is the probable cause.

Diagnosing Otitis Media (middle ear infection) usually requires skull radiographs.

With otitis externa you should be able to see pus/inflammation using an otoscope. If there is alot of exudate you wont be able to see the tympanic membrane so you wont know if it's perforated or not.

Mites may not be visible but the debris they cause should be.

Excellent, thankyou both. Looks like she will be back to the vets this week then, poor lass, I feel like I've cursed her by bringing her to live here :(

Last edited:
It's the wrong time of year & an outside chance. Thumper's up ear suddenly lopped (& his lop ear went up!) when he got a fly bite last March. The affected ear was noticeably thicker to the touch & was itchy.

Haha I have just sniffed both Skye's ears and both Apache's too for comparison, they're now looking at me like I'm mad :lol: Can't detect owt though....will ring the vet tomorrow and see what they think. It is really weird though :?

Haha I have just sniffed both Skye's ears and both Apache's too for comparison, they're now looking at me like I'm mad :lol: Can't detect owt though....will ring the vet tomorrow and see what they think. It is really weird though :?

:lol::lol: well paws crossed there is nothing wrong and if there is a problem it nothing bad:)

I sniff Polos ears all the time to check they ok he got use to having a torch shone down there and then my sniffing nose:lol:

:lol::lol: well paws crossed there is nothing wrong and if there is a problem it nothing bad:)

I sniff Polos ears all the time to check they ok he got use to having a torch shone down there and then my sniffing nose:lol:

Please forgive me for going off topic Clutterydrawer.
CRBevis sniffing for an ear infection in buns is brilliant.

[Old NHS workers used to sniff wee for people with cystitis. We could get about 80% accurate in identifying the causative bacteria & starting the correct AB immediately. We were less accurate with pus. Thumper's poop smells different when he's got hypomotility (caecal overgrowth of bacteria) as a very 1st. sign.]

You are so RIGHT to bring smell to our attention in this matter. Thank you.

Oh and while I'm here...what treatment(s) are there if it is an infection?

It depends. Definitely some sort of antibiotics...either systemic or as topical drops (or both)

Ear infections are sometimes a sign of a more general infection...so watch out for sneezing, runny eyes, runny nose, etc

It depends. Definitely some sort of antibiotics...either systemic or as topical drops (or both)

Ear infections are sometimes a sign of a more general infection...so watch out for sneezing, runny eyes, runny nose, etc

Bunnie just had a really waxy ear and some redness and just incase of something developing they gave a oral watered down baytril solution which was very unpleasant for my baby girl. I do question this treatment as 3 days later Bunnie died from a blockage that I believe was bought on by the stress of the drops but then remember Bunnie from birth had a delicate tummy and was nearly 4. :cry: other than waxy ear at the time Bunnie was perfectly healthy.

She was a mini lop and as we know lops have a harder time of getting wax out:(

All I can stress is always keep an eye on amount of scratching ears and head shaking and always get vet at jab times to check ears and wax amount and have a whiff every now and then and if vet says a lot of wax and recommends those drops you can get, or a couple of drops of olive oil I think it is to help break down wax.

NEVER ignore any little niggles you may have about ears as ear probs in buns can be hard to treat and there is not much licensed for buns ears!

Nip it in the bud asap:)

Last edited:
As far as smell goes...ear infections sometimes whiff of smelly socks and sometimes more of a yeasty pong

Indeed Bunnie's ear was just really waxy and you could smell it.

I get Polo's ears checked as he at his left ear more than other cos he has trouble shifting wax as Ellen discovered on Thursday his left ear canal is a bit narrower than the right one.

Last edited:
I agree with what others have said

Sudden 'lopping' could also be a nerve problem ie flaccid paralysis of the muscles at the base of the ear, or due to localised swelling/infection at the base of the ear/top of the skull. So you can check for these two, but so would the vet.

I know this isnt the cause in your case, but when my old bun Charlie had a drip for stasis, one ear lopped for about 3 weeks because of the weight of the needle! Indi also lopped an ear for a whole day after sleeping on it for an hour! :lol::lol:

Clutterydrawer, Polo says Skye got to send him a bun-mail on the bunnynet on how her ear is doing and he sais she must wash behind her tabs as well as in them before she goes to bed at night:rabbit2:

I agree with what others have said

Sudden 'lopping' could also be a nerve problem ie flaccid paralysis of the muscles at the base of the ear, or due to localised swelling/infection at the base of the ear/top of the skull. So you can check for these two, but so would the vet.

I know this isnt the cause in your case, but when my old bun Charlie had a drip for stasis, one ear lopped for about 3 weeks because of the weight of the needle! Indi also lopped an ear for a whole day after sleeping on it for an hour! :lol::lol:

Thanks that is interesting :) We have a vet appointment for tomorrow evening so we'll see what they say :)

CRBevis Skye says she is scrupulous with her washing activities and she's shocked that Polo would think otherwise. ;)

Thanks that is interesting :) We have a vet appointment for tomorrow evening so we'll see what they say :)

CRBevis Skye says she is scrupulous with her washing activities and she's shocked that Polo would think otherwise. ;)

Polo just judges other buns by his standards, and as a week never goes by without him hopping around with cecal smeared on his nose we can be assured his standards and well in the litter tray:)

Back