• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How is your accomodation coping in this yukky weather?

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Just interested to know how everybody's hutches, wendy houses and sheds are coping in this horrid wet weather?

We are finding small damp patches in some of the wendy houses and, although not serious, they are really bugging me :( (OCD is kicking in! :oops::lol:)

Does anyone else worry constantly about their outdoor accomodation?

Does anyone have any clever tips on how to keep the inside of them bone dry (if that is actually possible!!!)

Thank you muchly! :wave:

Ooo i'd like to know some whether proofing tips too as i'm getting a shed this week! I've got to pick some paint for the shed too! How exciting. How long have you had your wendy houses? Is it there first winter? :)

My oldest shed is absolutely bone dry (thankfully) - I re-felted the roof in the summer, gave it a coat of wood preserver and insulated the inside with polystyrene. The newer shed/aviary has the smallest amount of damp on the side up against the fence but I think this may be because there is very little air circulating round it so it just takes a long time for the outside to dry off.

The buns seem toasty warm and dry so I'm not worried.

One of my sheds has water coming through, just don't know what to do with it, it has been painted several times :? I just keep going in and wiping it over with kitchen roll!

One of my sheds has water coming through, just don't know what to do with it, it has been painted several times :? I just keep going in and wiping it over with kitchen roll!

We're the same...we've nearly exhausted all avenues! Our last resort it to felt or staple a shower curtain to some of the sides! :roll:

I have a PAH hutch (Daisy cottage) only had it 8 months and its falling to bits! The wood is so thin that when autumn started I found it was constantly damp. I have a cover for it (Scratch and Newton hutch hugger) but to be honest that is rubbish too.

My OH works in a plastic factory and he got me a massive sheet of polythene (a bit like the stuff that posh carrier bags are made of but thicker). I double wrapped the hutch in it (except the front of course!) and put the cover over the top. Now its loads better, a lot warmer and drier.

If anyone lives near Doncaster and wants some of that plastic, he can get it for nothing and I can deliver it or you can pay me a visit and say hello to Smokey and Teddy!

My she'd going mouldy - on the inside!! :shock: It's mingin! I think it's cuz the buns are in for the winter so the heater's turned off.

Glad i'm not the only one!!!

We have even bought some outdoot wood sealant to put in any little cracks. I swear the bunnies couldn't care less but it is bugging the hell out of me!

Yeah i thought about getting some of that but need it to dry out a bit first

Mine's doing pretty well, but it's only 6 mths old. :lol::lol: It's had about 5 coats of woodstain (one with wax in so the rain just beads & runs off) and the clear tarpaulin keeps most of the rain out.

I'm just fed up of all the stray bits of hay that are all over the gravel outside the buns' home. :roll::lol:

Mine's doing pretty well, but it's only 6 mths old. :lol::lol: It's had about 5 coats of woodstain (one with wax in so the rain just beads & runs off) and the clear tarpaulin keeps most of the rain out.

I'm just fed up of all the stray bits of hay that are all over the gravel outside the buns' home. :roll::lol:

We've got some of this but need it to stop raining so we can put a fresh coat on :(

My hutch is fine at the mo but i've only had it for four months. I have nailed a bit of prespex on one side of the hutch part, just from the bottom to half way up so the buns can look out without getting wet. I have also put some perspex on one door of the run downstairs to keep the wind and rain out and the hay rack dry. I use green garden netting (with tiny holes) over the hutch and again, that keeps a lot of wind and rain out.

Back