• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When OH says NO!!!

**LouLou**

Warren Scout
I have 2 outdoor buns already but easily have time space and money for 2 more. After being a member on here for 8 months I now know how many rabbits are desperate for a new home and really want to help.

But as you can guess, OH is adamant that we dont get any more pets (we've got 5 cats too).

The hours is ours equally, we earn the same........ so who is in charge?!!

Has anyone else been through the same thing?

noones in charge its about comprimise (sp).. if you are willing to risk losing your fella get more pets. if you want to hold onto him dont.

i think if ste said no to more pets i wouldnt get anymore :D

How about taking him to the rescue to see the buns? I doubt he will be able to say no then! I know its mean but it worked with mine!

Hmm. Its the other way round in our house... im always the one saying no more pets and Dan is always the one wanting more!! :roll: He does help me with the bunnies though :)

I think i would sit him down and talk to him... take him to your local rescue to see the bunnies ;) ;)

i also work on the basis, how many pets can i keep if im suddenly single. id not take on any animals id have to rehome if me and the bloke split

If it is you that will be looking after them, paying for them etc then I would do it regardless of what my OH said. He said no to Graham, but I got him anyways. He didnt want us to get a friend for him but again I didnt listen! Now he has given in saying no! He lets me do what I like as long as I pay for them all myself!

Andy was against a second bun at first. I then got him to say if we had a second they'd both have to go out (Bisc is a housebun).

I sent him lots of pics of cute bunnies in rescues and told him all about them. We talked a lot and eventually he agreed. I didn't put any pressure on him, we talked about why he didn't want to, and worked around his reasons.

We then went to a rescue and fell in love!

You need to find out why he is saying 'no'. If you can get around his reasons and find ways to make him comfortable with the idea you will have more of a chance.

Good luck :D

Aww thanks everyone, theres some good advice there.

To be honest I dont actually know his reasons for saying no. I'll have a little chat with him later. He is quite difficult to talk to though, he gets in a huff!

I will be paying for them and looking after them, just like I do with my two, and all the cats. I just cant see what difference two more will make.

**goes off to get OH a big glass of wine**

Aww thanks everyone, theres some good advice there.

To be honest I dont actually know his reasons for saying no. I'll have a little chat with him later. He is quite difficult to talk to though, he gets in a huff!

I will be paying for them and looking after them, just like I do with my two, and all the cats. I just cant see what difference two more will make.

**goes off to get OH a big glass of wine**

I fear that's a man thing ;)

Sure you can wear him down, show him some rescue sites. Just happen to show him a pic and then say 'Oh no...this little one was abandoned' or something similarly heart string pulling :)

My OH Andy was against me getting into buns again .......at first, but once he heard the sad stories on here and saw picci's he was as soft as play doh,:lol: and I was able to win him around, just give the big doe eyes :love:& talk about their plight for a new home & the OH will be putty in your hands !!

I also did mention that their inital cost would be subbed by me, which helped at lot :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My OH initially wanted Cassie and Oakley to be in the garden but I got him to agree to them being house rabbits in the dining room in exchange for him choosing the decoration in the conservatory when we get round to decorating it.

He is against having more rabbits but he has agreed to me fostering if they are in the garden and is even supportive despite Oakley throwing a strop! Part of the deal was he could have what he wants so it has cost me half of a new computer but it is worth it:lol: He has now agreed if all is well to having a small shed in the garden for fostering in the spring and thinks the new foster bunny is very cute.

I did tell him about all the sad stories and about the wonderful work the local rescue centre, Fat Fluffs do and an encouraging email from Abi which has helped . Also finding out his concerns and trying to give him something back in return helped. If he doesn't agree to permanent bunnies, would he agree to fostering if there is a local rescue centre?

Best of luck:wave:

I know EXACTLY what you're going through. My OH always says "no" to more pets but I think it's just his little way of attempting to be the one who wears the trousers :lol::lol:. After the first few "no's", I sit him down and ask him to explain in detail exactly why he doesn't want any more animals. And his answer is always the same "it's a stupid idea". Ultimately, he has no valid reason. I'm the one who pays for everything and I'm the one who does 100% of the caring for them. There may be the very odd occasion when I'm late home and I ask him to feed them but it's rare.

I explain to him that I don't go out boozing, I don't smoke, in fact, I don't go out :oops:. I choose not to have children because I prefer animals - my pets give me the greatest pleasure in life. Is it such a bad thing that I want to give a decent home to some deserving animals? He has no counter-argument for this ;).

Why not do what I did and adopt an older pair? You can try to soften him up by saying that a pair of oldies won't be the same long-term comittment as a youngster and you'll be giving them a fantastic retirement home for a year or two. Flora and Parsnip were 5 when I adopted them and I told my OH that they were in their twilight years :oops: - he doesn't need to know that they'll hopefully be at least 8 or 9 before their light starts to fade.

Don't give up hope - my persistent whining has just paid off and my OH has agreed to a pair of house-piggies!

I should finish by saying that I think it's all a front as far as my OH is concerned. When one of the bunnies passes to the Bridge, he's there with a glistening eye and a tissue in his hand as he prepares a resting place in the garden ;)

Please don't adopt another pet without your O/H's agreement. I know you want to help some unfortunate animal and take full responsibility for his/her care but you do have to take your O/H's views into account. After all you wouldn't like it if he brought an aggressive dog/ his little sister/his mum to live with you without asking you.:shock:
What you can do is what others have suggested: take him on a rescue 'open day' (it worked for me:)); talk to him about the plight of the poor animals; give him a massage (it worked for another forum member:p) etc. Good luck!:wave:

i am very lucky when it comes to this the only time he turned round and said no was when i found a pet rat on the street which i found a home for :roll: he hates rats :lol:
we have an arragement we dont discuss how mant rabbits we have as they are in the rabbitry and dont affect him so he doesnt mind how many we have if were having somthing move in the house he wants to know what and when but he rarely says no ;) in the house we have 1 dog , 1 cat , 1 stick insect , several snails , 2 hedgehogs
arriving soon
1 corn snake
2 geckos
1 hedgehog
1 tortoise next xmas
and were disscusing a lizard

im also hoping to start a meerkat fund next year so in 2011 i hope to have one of those :D

i wish you luck with your other half maybe just sit down and chat with him say this is what you want to do take him to the rescue let him choose one you never know he may agree failing that you could always tell him hes lucky he doesnt live with me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My o/h wasn't keen on getting Salt and Pepper (this was a few years ago and he hadn't quite been caught by the bunny bug then!)
He said that as I would be paying for their upkeep etc, he couldn't really say no, but I'd have to build the run myself etc etc. Which I did :D and I have Salt and Pepper.
He now dotes on all of the bunnies, and spent his Saturday fixing Salt and Pepper's run roof :D
I agree with taking him to a rescue. When we went to Kirkby to pick up Ruby, he was quite upset by the amount of beautiful bunnies that had no homes.
Good luck!

My OH did not want bunny number 3. It took a lot of talking and explaining how happy the buns make me for him to relent. Yesterday my mum joked he was mad (I now have 7 buns by the way) for letting me get so many and his answer was 'If she didn't look after them then I wouldn't but she spends hours out there and is brilliant at looking after them so where's the harm if they make her happy.' Gotta love him for that one. :love:

My OH and I ALWAYS argue about this. He says that the reason we are in a relationship is because it is all about compromise. I have to compromise and not have anymore bunnies, and he has to compromise to have the bunnies in the first place.

When I got my first, Ralph, (I got him without telling him and presented him when he got back from a work trip) he was so angry with me "breaking our trust" and producing Ralph as a "fate complete" that he didn't speak to me for 72 hours and he said he had "broken a fundamental bond of trust." Errr... control freak!!!

Back