• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little help quite quick pls!

gizmobunny

Young Bun
Hi all, mentioned earliier in here Honey our Mini Lop had poop problems.

Just managed to get hold of her to check out the bum (suprisngly she fell asleep in a trance like state which was fab!)

We cut lots of hard poop away great, We think we might have cut her, theres a tiny dark red patch appeared will this heal, should we keep her inside now?!

Also the Biggest hard lump seems to be right over her bum, we cut trimmed soaked a little trimmed more cut more and 15 minutes later it wont budge, is this worth calling the vet for , ie is she not going to be able to poop cause we cant see where her bum is!?

Sorry if this sounds a bit crude!

It might be worth going to the vet if you think you've cut her plus when one of my buns had some crusty poop on his foot my vet shaved it off which should work for her as well. x

If she now has a cut and she is still caked in poo then, yes, she needs Veterinary attention.

You need to at least remove enough faeces to enable her to poo and the wound is at high risk of infection, hence the need for Vet treatment.

Also, establishing why she is unable to clean herself is important. The reasons may include 1- Dental problems 2- a diet laking in crude fibre (hay) and too high in carbohydrates/protein (concentrate feeds) 3-Pain, especially spinal arthritis, 4-Obesity, 5- Stress, eg being bullied by another Rabbit, fear of a predator (cat/fox etc)

thanks for your replies guys.

She went to the vet, the cut seems to have vanished! Maybe it wasnt a cut, she has had a shave and clean up from the vet!!

Now they have told us to give her fibreplex 3 times a day, i think its a fibre supplemt and it should put her poop back to normal.

She also said that its best for more pellets and less veg?! Now im totally confused i was going to lessen pellets less veg and up hay!

I might just try no Veg for a week extra hay and pellets in evening!

Poor bunnies, she hates the injection of paste into her mouth!
Shes also very strong takes a lot to hold her but once the syringe is in she seems to lap it up!

Yep she checked that, she had a hard time gettin her teeth checking tool in her mouth!

She was flicking her back legs (like they do when they angry) but now shes been cleaned she has stopped so i guess thats y she was doing it.

Back