• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why won't Quag play?

Gem 333

Warren Scout
I have a couple of questions:

Why won't Quag play with anything? Literally, anything. I've bought him every type of toy going, willow, wood, plastic... he sniffs, turns away and hops off, or just lies down. Ive tried toilet roll middles and everything. He's a lazy little sneefer!! (See Avatar!) He just sleeps all the time and I worry that he's bored. I do spend quite a bit of time with him (whenever I'm not at work, OH keeps asking who I am actually in a relationship with!) but he spends it snoozing on my knee. He is a only house bun, which leads me into my 2nd question...

He is neutered, and my OH has FINALLY agreed to let me get him a friend. Does it have to be a girl?

Thanks

Gemma

It doesn't have to be a girl, but the chances of a successful bond are a lot better if you find a suitable girl.

try a cardboard box filled with hay and hide a little treat in it :D Ive spent heaps on my bun but this is one of the only thing that she loves, she throws the box everywhere and hides in it etc. It can be quite messy though :?

How old is your rabbit?
Our rabbits don't like toys either, they just like doing what 'real' rabbits do, i.e. digging and chewing. They have cardboard boxes filled with hay or old towels, with holes to run in and out of. They spend time digging in them. They chew the bark off any branches that we bring in from the garden. We used to hide their food around the room to make them run around for it, but now we just feed them on our laps.

He's almost 18months old now.

Thanks for the idea's, I will get some boxes from work and see what sort of toy I can come up with. Im looking to get some tunnels as well.

I am looking to bond him with a female over Christmas, so am going to go to a rescue next week to see if there is any suitable ladies. Not looking forward to that process!!

Hi, your Quag sounds like my Nermal - lazy lazy lazy!! Nermal could not be less interested in toys if he tried. He likes hay, especially if it's still in the bag so he can dig and chew it out. That keeps him busy for hours on end. Nothing else really holds his interest long enough - he likes sleeping, eating, having his ears stroked, and that's about it.. But he's happy enough!
I got a wee girl (Phoebe) for him recently, and the bond went really well, although she's mental and loves playing with anything you give her. She loves wood chews especially, and I think she's encouraged Nermal to start eating them too, as I've caught him recently having a good nibble on some branches.
If Quag is quite laid back, you might have an easy bond (depending on the girl). There will be some awkward moments, but it's worth it. It took just under a week for my two to really bond, but it was relatively smooth and they're now best friends.

Good luck! :D

Hi, your Quag sounds like my Nermal - lazy lazy lazy!! Nermal could not be less interested in toys if he tried. He likes hay, especially if it's still in the bag so he can dig and chew it out. That keeps him busy for hours on end. Nothing else really holds his interest long enough - he likes sleeping, eating, having his ears stroked, and that's about it.. But he's happy enough!
I got a wee girl (Phoebe) for him recently, and the bond went really well, although she's mental and loves playing with anything you give her. She loves wood chews especially, and I think she's encouraged Nermal to start eating them too, as I've caught him recently having a good nibble on some branches.
If Quag is quite laid back, you might have an easy bond (depending on the girl). There will be some awkward moments, but it's worth it. It took just under a week for my two to really bond, but it was relatively smooth and they're now best friends.

Good luck! :D

Thanks! yes, sounds like Nermal and Quag would get on like a house on fire!! (Quag is currently having a snooze under the bed, such a hard life!)

Was Phoebe a rescue bun?

He's almost 18months old now.

Thanks for the idea's, I will get some boxes from work and see what sort of toy I can come up with. Im looking to get some tunnels as well.

I am looking to bond him with a female over Christmas, so am going to go to a rescue next week to see if there is any suitable ladies. Not looking forward to that process!!

Take Quag along with you to the rescue as rabbits often like to choose their own friends. :)

Thanks! yes, sounds like Nermal and Quag would get on like a house on fire!! (Quag is currently having a snooze under the bed, such a hard life!)

Was Phoebe a rescue bun?

Hi, if Nermal and Quag could ever bring themselves to wake up/move they would get on just fine!

Phoebe was from a breeder about 30 miles away from me. There aren't many rescues in my area (west of scotland) who have bunnies, they're usually cat and dog places. It was difficult finding a rescue with bunnies, and I was unsure about the private ads on certain sites and in certain newspapers. I contacted the breeder as Nermal came from her too, and she's so responsible (she doesn't just breed for the sake of it - if she has a bun with good colour/temper genes from a good line then she breeds, so not all of them are bred from).

I thought that with Nermal being so laid back he would adapt to any bunny, which has certainly been the case. With Phoebe being younger, even though she's very lively she does seem to know that she's the wee one so she gets bossed around - it's working out just fine!

My bun never "played" with rabbit things even as a baby. He was kept occupied with 2 cat toys for a while, & still likes pinging elastic from time to time, but really likes doing rabbit things eg digging, & making tunnels through tall plants outside, or "tidying up the floor" if I dare to leave anything on it, "helping to tidy low cupboards", & chasing his string or strip of cloth indoors! Not really bunny behaviour:roll:

Good luck with finding him a lady friend. That should get him going.

Today I met a lovely lady rabbit at the rescue. She was beautiful and even let me stroke her head.

However, quag is a mini lop, and this was a pretty big rabbit, and i fear she may squish him, so i do not think that they would be very well suited.

Any Advice?

Thanks

Back