• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got any advice for giant buns who have sore hocks please?

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
Emily our big beautiful conti has developed very sore hocks :( We think this is partially due to not being very good on her back legs, as she used to live in a hutch before she came to us.

Her hocks have always been a little sore every now again, so she's had sudocrem on them often. However, this morning when I get up they were very red & inflamed - the worst I'd seen them :( She also didn't seem quite right in herself, wouldn't touch her breakfast & was shivering :? I took her to the vets & Jane thinks she might have an infection, but couldn't take Emily's temperature as she was so stressed - she's a real stress bun :( She's now on baytril & metacam for the next week, as well as using sudocrem on them - we're back at the vets Monday if there is no improvement.

She still won't touch her pellets or veg, but thankfully has been munching hay like mad.

I just wondered if anyone had got any advice or tips to help Emily - as I want to avoid them getting any worse & improve them as much as I can.

I have no advice just wanted to send some vibes :( Poor girly :( Hope she feels a bit better soon. Sending nose rubs xXx

Poor Emily. Snowdrop had sore hocks at one time but they seemed to go away on there own with just some sudocrem.

Lots of vibes for her poorly tooties xxx

I think a couple of Jane's rexes has seriously sore hocks, you might want to do a search on her posts?

Aloe vera can help, but may sting if they are open wounds, so might not be best thing right now. Also have you got rubber matting? Can help in future

Thanks for your vibes guys - me & Emily really appreciate them :)

You might be right Jane about arthritis / spondylosis because of her poor start in life - the thing is though I really don't want to put Emily through an xray if I can avoid it. She's such a stress bunny & I would be frightened to death if she had a GA - unless Jane can do an xray without a GA if Emily would be still enough :? I will mention it Monday at the vets, as we're there anyway - either with or without Emily, depending on how she is.

I'm going to check out using aloe vera & rubber matting - thanks Angie. At the moment, Emily & Archie live downstairs & all our floors downstairs are tiled. Emily doesn't manage well on them, so has carpet mats in their pen. However, I covered their pen with vet bed on top of them today to try to make it softer for her.

I'm not convinced I'd be successful in being able to put any dressing on her hocks - a) because she's so big, b) because she gets so stressed if I pick her up - it's nightmare just trying to get her to take meds & I'd be frightened she'd have a heartattack on me :( & c) because either Emily or Archie would chew them off within seconds :roll:

I just hope they start to improve soon, because it's making her want to be more immobile - she's never been a bun who will move around alot, but I can physically see this is making her worse :( which bothers me :?

Back