• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is bonding ever going to work?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
After Strawberry attacking Snowdrop and now Snowdrop possibly biting Bungle through the bars is bonding them ever going to work out?

My Mum and OH both think bonding them is too risky and that we should try to rehome Bungle and keep Snowdrop and Strawberry separate.

I really need some advice. Is bonding them ever going to work given their past? I am terrified that one bite during bonding can cause serious injury after what has happened to Snowdrop and Bungle.

I feel like the worse bunny mum ever.

I've read to keep them apart for a while so they can't see each other and then do it all over again. I hope you can rebond them.
The only time I had 2 rabbits fight was Charlie and his sister when they were tiny babies - they were about 10 weeks old when they went mad attacking each other and even at that young age nothing worked :(

I personally would not attempt it given Snowdrops history and the fact that Strawberry and Bungle are Bucks. I think the risk is far too great

Sorry, just my opinion.

They are all apart and have been for 2 weeks. My stupidity thought Bungles door had closed behind me when the hoover cable stopped it from closing properly so Snowdrop was able to push it open.

I have 2 weeks before they were due to go to Cottonmathers. I want them to bond so badly, but I also dont want anyone to get hurt.

I had the same issue with Strawberry and Graham when they had a fight here yet bonded at Fatfluffs.

I just prey so much that neutral territory helps them to get on.

Oh, Snowberry, I am so sorry for you, I know how much it all means to you. I dont know if it will be worth sending them away to bond, how do you feel about that? I know it will be hard but will be worth it.

I personally would not attempt it given Snowdrops history and the fact that Strawberry and Bungle are Bucks. I think the risk is far too great

Sorry, just my opinion.

Would you have three single bunnies then Jane? I work very long hours and only have about 2 hours free in the evenings to spend with them so they would hardly get any interaction at all.

Maybe I would be best to rehome them and let them be bonded with other bunnies somewhere else?

I am guttered as I only ever wanted the best for them all.

Oh, Snowberry, I am so sorry for you, I know how much it all means to you. I dont know if it will be worth sending them away to bond, how do you feel about that? I know it will be hard but will be worth it.

That is what we had planned. They are going to Cottonmathers on the 19th Dec.

My honest opinion is that if a bonding has failed in the past the likelihood of it ever working again permanently is slim. I have never managed it successfully.

But every bun is different and that dosn't mean it wont work out in some cases :)

I always say when people are trying difficult bondings, try to see it from the buns point of view and ask yourself honestly, what is each bunny going to gain from the bonding? Then you know if you are doing the right thing :)

Its a hard situation to be in :? I would personally not want them to be all single because of you working long hours, they will be lonely. Could you not just try it? Or even try Bungle and Snowdrop? :? Even if you rehome Bungle, and you were to keep Strawbs and Snow seperate... would they both be indoors??

Hmm its a tough one, i never thought my 2 would go back together after Izzy attacked Oscar but i had to try, they had 2 weeks apart where Oscar went to stay with my mum, then they went to Janice for rebonding and have come back a different couple they are always together now snuggled up and everything :love:

Also my vet gave me something to give to both buns while they were apart to calm them down, i don't know if this helped at all :?

Would you have three single bunnies then Jane? I work very long hours and only have about 2 hours free in the evenings to spend with them so they would hardly get any interaction at all.

Maybe I would be best to rehome them and let them be bonded with other bunnies somewhere else?

I am guttered as I only ever wanted the best for them all.

I would try bonding just Bungle and Snowdrop.
I thought that was your plan B anyway and then have Strawberry as an outdoor Bun with another Doe ?

Also, with the bonding so near Christmas, sorry again for always pointing out the negatives, but what if there is a mishap.....Christmas = Vets on Emergency Arrangements- Additional fees- maybe not a Bunny savvy Vet.............

Just pointing out 'worst case scenarios' After 12 years of having Rabbits I have learned the hard (and costly) way its better to do so

xx

Mr Bunny tried to bite Marge and Homer through the bars when they first arrived. Now he and his g/f are using Marge as a pillow.:D (I haven't introduced Homer yet, as he's still hormonal.)
What I'm trying to say is that nothing is impossible. (This is just my opinion.):wave:

Is Snowdrop and Bungle together an option? It's difficult to know what may have happened between them as you didn't see it. You talked on another thread of possibly if the trio didn't work out then get Strawbs a companion for outdoors. If a rescue was to choose a companion for him then he might not get away with being so bossy. It sounds like Snowdrop may be happy as a single bun as you've seen a big improvement in her but I can see why you don't want to look at 3 singles as Plan A as splitting the time between them would be really difficult.

It's a tricky one. I don't think you should read too much into today's incident though. Rabbits behave totally differently when on their own 'territories' than how they do when bonding in neutral space.

Thank you guys. Snowdrop and Bungle bonded would definately be an opinion. I have no idea why she would bite him today, I have never seen her be agressive at all.

Any pairing of the three would be fine as the single bun could live in our bedroom and get more time with us. If Strawberry is left as the single he will definately have to go outside as he is a nightmare over night so it wont work him being in my room. He would have to stay in the attic room till spring.

I thought Bungle and Snowdrop would definately work but after today I am not so sure. I also have in the back of my mind that Strawberry was a totally different bunny when bonded to Graham so maybe the trio would work.

I would try bonding just Bungle and Snowdrop.
I thought that was your plan B anyway and then have Strawberry as an outdoor Bun with another Doe ?

Also, with the bonding so near Christmas, sorry again for always pointing out the negatives, but what if there is a mishap.....Christmas = Vets on Emergency Arrangements- Additional fees- maybe not a Bunny savvy Vet.............

Just pointing out 'worst case scenarios' After 12 years of having Rabbits I have learned the hard (and costly) way its better to do so

xx

I have no opinion but to bond over Christmas because of my job. My next break would be February half term for a week or Easter for two weeks.

The plan was that they went to Fayes on Sat 19th and came back to me either the Wed or Thurs. I could take them with me to my Mums for xmas eve and xmas day in the dog crate then settle them in the bunny room after the bank holiday.

It's hard to know for sure. As Alison said, they aren't on neutral territory.

I would be inclined to send them away for bonding as planned - Faye sounds very experienced and would probably be able to tell very quickly if things weren't going to work as a trio. I can also understand why you would be reluctant to risk it though.

Sorry, I'm no help at all. :(

It's hard to know for sure. As Alison said, they aren't on neutral territory.

I would be inclined to send them away for bonding as planned - Faye sounds very experienced and would probably be able to tell very quickly if things weren't going to work as a trio. I can also understand why you would be reluctant to risk it though.

Sorry, I'm no help at all. :(

Thanks. I want to send them to Fayes as I know that she will be careful with them and if she knows straight away it wont work she can try to get a pair out of the best suited 2. My main problem is my OH and Mum are saying don't do it and if it goes wrong I know they are going to make me feel bad.

I have no experience at all with bonding so don't know what to suggest.

I can't help thinking that Snowdrop might be better off without Strawberry as she sounds like she's doing so much better as a single bun, but I know having them all as single buns isn't a practical option. Maybe pairing her with Bungle would allow them both to have company and hopefully Snowdrop would be a lot less stressed than it sounds like she has been with Strawberry.

Also, I would be gutted for you if you did feel that you had to rehome Bungle because it's obvious how much you've enjoyed having him with you.

Sorry, random musings, no help at all. Wishing you good luck with your decision though.

Sorry, just my opinion.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Jane on this, particularly regarding your two bucks. I tried rebonding my trio after my two bucks fought and it never worked out and poor Wilm ended up losing half an ear :cry: In the end I had to rehome two of my buns to a very good friend of mine but it was heartbreaking :(

Last edited:
Back