• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating Properly - Please Help Need Advice

roshill

New Kit
I have a 5 month old holland Lop he's an active little guy. A few days back while I was picking him up he suddenly jumped out of my hands his nails were too long left few scratches on my hand that's not what I am concerned about . But the fact that the bun hit the cage and bled a little from his mouth and he didn't eat anything since that day . I gave him his fav treat an apple he loved it .

But whenever I tried feeding him his staple diet he looked away. I took the little guy to the vet and he gave me a medicine saying it is some gastric problem in his tummy and told me to dissolve it in a syringe and feed it to him so I did .

Its been 3 days since I have been feeding him the medicine he is eating his pellets but not eating any hay what soever . The fav part of the hay was the wheat looking thing but he just rejects it should I be concerned . Will he get better ?! I just want that sweet little guy to live a long full life he's a sweet heart . He's lost quite a bit of tummy which used to be full all the time . Should I give him more time to recover ?

Did the Vet check for any damage to his teeth or fractures of his jaw as a result of the fall?

Has he had any pain relief? If not then he should have

I would take him to another Vet for a 2nd opinion as from what you have said here I suspect his problem is not a 'tummy upset' but some sort of damage to his mouth/jaw caused by the fall. Obviously I cant say for certain as I am not a Vet and I cant see your Rabbit, its just my opinion

I agree with Jack's-Jane.

If he's had a bit of a fall, then that wouldn't cause a tummy problem. Did you tell your vet he'd fallen or just that he was off his food? If he's had a bump to his head, he could of damaged his teeth, broken his jaw, or just simply bitten his tongue which has made it rather sore to eat.

I'd take him back to the vet, explain exactly what happened - don't worry, they won't blame you or anything, it happens - and get them to check his mouth out. Take him back soon though as bunnies guts start to shut down if they don't eat enough and then you'll have a whole new problem to deal with.

Good luck! I hope bunny is feeling better soon. :)

Gastric problems can be secondary to being in pain. Bunnies have to keep eating and its good you are managing to get food into him. His mouth and teeth need to be checked.

Thank you soo much for replying guys. My first reaction was the same. I thought something might have happened to his teeth . But the vet didnt give it a second thought and had a look at the teeth and wasn't much talkative and gave the med for gastric problem in his tummy .

And well It might have worked he is eating his pellets alot but he isn't eating any Timothy hay. I have been giving him his medication since he came back and he is getting pretty good . But I still have my doubts since he is not eating any hay what so ever . !! Should I wait more ??

Back