• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could Ginger have some vibes please?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
He's really bad today, I'm 99% certain it's his teeth. At the moment he's lying on his side breathing rather fast, (not mouth breathing) with his eyes closed. I've got him booked in for a dental on Monday and Katie's bringing him some metacam tonight.

My poor, poor baby. :cry:

My sister forgot the Metacam last night. :roll:

It's strange but he's woken up this morning looking a lot better, and pestering for his breakfast. I'm still pretty sure it's his mouth (Katie's bringing the auroscope home tonight, so hopefully we'll find out then) but why would that come and go? He's had these 'off' days for about 2 years now, and I always put it down to digestion problems, as he had a lot of trouble with that when he was little, but maybe it's always been his teeth?

Does anyone have a dental bun who has random 'poorly' days?

My sister forgot the Metacam last night. :roll:

It's strange but he's woken up this morning looking a lot better, and pestering for his breakfast. I'm still pretty sure it's his mouth (Katie's bringing the auroscope home tonight, so hopefully we'll find out then) but why would that come and go? He's had these 'off' days for about 2 years now, and I always put it down to digestion problems, as he had a lot of trouble with that when he was little, but maybe it's always been his teeth?

Does anyone have a dental bun who has random 'poorly' days?

Yes. My bun was also thought to have primarily GI problems. He's had no uneaten caecs for 12 months since we started regular dentals. The only scare about his gut was after a perforated eardrum (pain). Which you very kindly "nipped in the bud" for us Hoppit.

For the 2 weeks leading up to a dental his eating, & therefore poop size & quantity are variable, with good days & increasing numbers of "bad days" as time progresses. He will try to change his diet to foods with more moisture & less chewing. I see several dental buns changing their diet but they don't all change the same way.

I understand that even a top vet cannot exclude spurs without a GA. Honestly the key for us is that Thumper is very hungry, but doesn't (can't) eat certain foods, he would scoff down normally.

Thanks for all your vibes everyone - we all appreciate it! Katie just checked and said he has got some nasty spurs, so we're going ahead with the dental on Monday. I feel really stressed but relieved at the same time - it's v. strange. I'm relieved it is his teeth, because now we know we can do something about it. On the other hand though there's the risk of the anaesthetic, scarily close after the last one, the stress for the buns and the expense of the procedure - looks like I won't be eating next week!

Something I really still don't understand is the whole up/down thing though. Surely with tooth ache or pain from ulcers it just gets worse and worse? How can he feel sprightly the day after he was doing a 'dying rabbit' impression? Judy, it's interesting that Thumps does this too. Do you have any theories on why this is?

I think I have misled you a little. Thumper hasn't looked at death's door since he was a baby.

I've found rabbits to be incredibly intelligent. They use different senses to us - relying much on smell & hearing, rather than vision as we do. They have different priorities, not only as prey animals, but also were they to show any physical weakness it could result in a "challenge to combat" from a fitter rabbit lower in the social heirarchy. Loss of place would mean loss of better grazing & burrow rights. So their instinct is to hide illness until they can't do so, for 2 reasons. The one thing rabbits won't do is "pretend to be ill".

They are intelligent in learning rapidly when it's important to them! Thumper learned the names of his herbs, the 3rd. time I used them. 3rd. dental - & he knows what's coming.

What I think may be happening with Ginger is that when he gets spurs, he's learned that he has to chew less or he'll cut his mouth, & not be able to eat at all.

Bun's have a problem. They have to chew a lot of fiber which gives them no nourishment, or their guts stop working. If they use all their chewing capacity on fiber there isn't enough left to eat nutrients for glucose. They can't use "fat" stores like we can. If they eat enough nutrients, there isn't enough fiber to keep their gut moving.

I've watched Thumper desperately trying to get the balance right, & not having enough "chew" to do it. He even cuts down on energy expenditure (need for glucose from his food) but it's very subtle, he just doesn't come downstairs to investigate a visitor, or plays fewer running games. I would guess that Ginger tried to have a day of eating fiber to get his gut to work better, & just didn't manage to get enough nutrient in. Or needed a day to
to allow a painful, but not ulcerated mouth to settle down. Bless him he's doing his best, but can't win.
With Ginger losing weight easily, he's got an additional problem.

Poop output is the best index of fiber intake. We have big probs with fluid intake (Ginger probably doesn't) Increased urine turbidity is a warning sign, poops like rocks & wee output less than 4cc = dental NOW. Hungry (asking for food early) rushing to dish but then leaving 1/2 of it = Metacam & Dental in next 2 days for us. I think you will have to find the subtle signs for Ginger.

I ensure that Thumps has a meal before we go for a dental. I'm convinced that stress control as far as possible is important. I really wish we could reduce the stress of travel for Ginger. 40 miles is necessary and a long way. All advice appreciated - perhaps discuss with your vet.
I always leave his favourite toy rabbit, & a smelly gardening jumper of mine (I'm his companion "rabbit") when he's admitted. It's just to relieve the stress of being in a totally strange environment by giving him something familiar to smell.

Back