• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there anything that can make a bunny change in behavior other than illness?

Jaysmonkey

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, Lola is 3 and a half years old, she'll be 4 on the 22nd April 2010. I've had her since she was 9 weeks old and back then she was a norty bunneh, ate wires and wallpaper etc. Well she grew out of it fairly quickly (mainly after neuter) but still loves and loved to shred up the tv magazine and catalogues.

So here's the thing after recovering from her latest dental and stasis episode, she's like a changed bunneh. It's like she's been born all over again and she's shredding the wallpaper left, right and centre in my 'rented' accomodation! She's still not bothered about wires really, unless it's daddy's phone charger (Daddy has had to buy 6 replacements and counting now). But she isn't eating the wallpaper just shredding it off the walls and it's not necessarily at floor level, she's jumping ontop of things, like her bed then her carry box, onto the hay bag onto the drawers and shred shred shred! I've blocked off everything I can, but she is finding ways around it :shock:, she's even jumping on top of her cage to get to the wallpaper behind it!

Her pulling off the wallpaper though isn't the issue at hand! Why is she being so incredibly naughty!? She still likes fuss, cuddles and love; she generally cuddles up with daddy in bed when I have to go to uni and he gets a lie in! :evil: She's still flopping about, eating, pooping, weeing the same and getting the same attention as she ever did, if not more! She's still very inlove with Max too :?.

So any ideas why? :lol: I hate telling her off :(, and I don't want her naughty antics to start rubbing off on my other bunnies! They're so well behaved..though saying that I think Lola made Max do something bad last night.. it looked like they were whispering to each other then all of a sudden Max bolted past the phone and 'beep' the phone went off, he'd eaten through the wire :shock:, I'm sure Lola made him do it!:evil:

Ha, this really made me smile, I know its naughty and frustrating when its happening to you, my O/H phone and lap top charger are virtually all green and yellow now with the tape hes used to stick them back together.

However, its just sounds like she has a new lease of life now, perhaps try to give her some new toys to chew, or a role of wallpaper of her own :D

Can you gte a roll of cheap wallpaper and make her her own 'wall' or perhaps tunnel covered in wallpaper :?

Can you gte a roll of cheap wallpaper and make her her own 'wall' or perhaps tunnel covered in wallpaper :?

Haha, it's an idea. I'll have to get the O/H on the job!
She's just so naughty now! :lol: I have less trouble with my 3 adolescent bunnies who have all only been neuatered for a very short time! :lol:

ive really got to get piccies up of what my 2 have done to my wallpaper they are clever lil blighters mine have climbed to get at it, they dont eat it just rip shreds off and love making you chase them round the room with a huge bit of paper flapping behind,

you got woodchip its a real preferance with my 2 age is nothing bigs is 5 and a terror

i put it down to boredoom really even if they do have lots of toys, as she doesnt eat the paper you tried a yellow pages for her to shred

ive really got to get piccies up of what my 2 have done to my wallpaper they are clever lil blighters mine have climbed to get at it, they dont eat it just rip shreds off and love making you chase them round the room with a huge bit of paper flapping behind,

you got woodchip its a real preferance with my 2 age is nothing bigs is 5 and a terror

i put it down to boredoom really even if they do have lots of toys, as she doesnt eat the paper you tried a yellow pages for her to shred

I haven't tried yellow pages but she does have catalogues which she shreds to pieces! I can't afford to buy from them anyway at the moment, so I don't mind! :lol: I will try whatever I can!

She does exactly that though, it was funny today me and my O/H were chasing her around the house and she had a big piece of wallpaper in her mouth! then we had to play tug of war with her to get her to drop it!:lol:

I don't have woodchip either!

She's laid out now, pretending to be an innocent! I'm not falling for that! ;)

Haha, it's an idea. I'll have to get the O/H on the job!
She's just so naughty now! :lol: I have less trouble with my 3 adolescent bunnies who have all only been neuatered for a very short time! :lol:

That might be a factor - other buns nearby:D

That might be a factor - other buns nearby:D

But they're not nearby, that's why I'm confused:?! Her and Max live upstairs and are bonded (have been for 2 years now), the other's live downstairs, and I've had the new three for more than 3 months now! Brian and Jemimah are bonded and Lenny is a singleton. Lola is one of the most laid back bunnies I've ever met, take for example on the intial bonding of her and Max, it was Max that did the chasing and the fur pulling, Lola just sat and took it. The only thing she wants from anyone is a head lick.:lol:

I'm hoping she's feeling a lot better in herself, as prior to the recovery of the latest dental abscess (she's still on antibiotics for it until February and Metacam for another 2 and a bit weeks) she was under the weather for about 4 weeks (she ended up having 2 dentals in 3 weeks :( and losing close to 500g). There are currently no signs of illness, just naughtiness, love and begging!

I don't know how I could keep the younger buns much further away, if they are the problem. Brian was neutered on the 16th October, Jemimah the 13th November and Lenny the 25th September.

Hmmm:?

But they're not nearby, that's why I'm confused:?! Her and Max live upstairs and are bonded (have been for 2 years now), the other's live downstairs, and I've had the new three for more than 3 months now! Brian and Jemimah are bonded and Lenny is a singleton. Lola is one of the most laid back bunnies I've ever met, take for example on the intial bonding of her and Max, it was Max that did the chasing and the fur pulling, Lola just sat and took it. The only thing she wants from anyone is a head lick.:lol:

I'm hoping she's feeling a lot better in herself, as prior to the recovery of the latest dental abscess (she's still on antibiotics for it until February and Metacam for another 2 and a bit weeks) she was under the weather for about 4 weeks (she ended up having 2 dentals in 3 weeks :( and losing close to 500g). There are currently no signs of illness, just naughtiness, love and begging!

I don't know how I could keep the younger buns much further away, if they are the problem. Brian was neutered on the 16th October, Jemimah the 13th November and Lenny the 25th September.

Hmmm:?

If they were just neutered, maybe their hormonal smell drove her crazy? I just remember what happened when I brought un-neutered Cracker home:shock:

I don't know if that's too close or not - I kept Cracker in another room & my buns returned to normal:D

If they were just neutered, maybe their hormonal smell drove her crazy? I just remember what happened when I brought un-neutered Cracker home:shock:

I don't know if that's too close or not - I kept Cracker in another room & my buns returned to normal:D

It could be, but when it was just her and we got Maximus, he wasn't neutered for about a month (they weren't together at this point) and she was fine then.

I found a yellow pages.. and here's what happened! :lol: This was within a few seconds of giving her it mind...:shock:

SDC11892.jpg

SDC11893.jpg

SDC11894.jpg

SDC11896.jpg

My heart missed a beat reading this! For a second I thought it was the wild chervil, but the effects wear off in 2 days!!

OK does it make any sense that Lola needed a lot of attention for 4 weeks - she's feeling on top of the world now her mouth doesn't hurt, AND trying to find ways to get all the attention she had when she was poorly? even if it means being a pain in the butt & getting the "wrong sort" of attention.

[It's not so far fetched - mine plays this game a fair bit, when he feels lively]

My heart missed a beat reading this! For a second I thought it was the wild chervil, but the effects wear off in 2 days!!

OK does it make any sense that Lola needed a lot of attention for 4 weeks - she's feeling on top of the world now her mouth doesn't hurt, AND trying to find ways to get all the attention she had when she was poorly? even if it means being a pain in the butt & getting the "wrong sort" of attention.

[It's not so far fetched - mine plays this game a fair bit, when he feels lively]

It could well be that! I missed uni for alot of the time that she was ill and so did the O/H. Now I have to go back because obviously I can't miss too much, but the O/H has already finished for christmas so is spending all his time with her! It could well be because I'm having to go out every weekday, afterall she is a mummy's girl and she misses me being with her!. :lol::lol:

I wish it was the Chervil! then I'd understand more!:lol: Maybe she's just angry because she's no longer on the opiate...:lol:, my little junky bunny!

Awww bless her, love the yellow page destruction pics :love:

Daisy eats wallpaper whenever she can, but she actually eats it and doesn't just shred it so I have to be really careful to keep her out of the rooms still wallpapered. My house is a bunny-induced DIY disaster at the moment :lol:

Wow what she did to the yellow pages is awesome!! - Termite Frank has a rival!!

I don't think she's got an addiction problem. My bun is very "straight" with his communication. The sort of things she's doing make me think that she's overjoyed that her mouth doesn't hurt. "Look mum, I can use my teeth now", "whoopee" (does a race round the furniture & bounces off the windowsill) "It's great isn't it?" (rips off some wallpaper) "Feelin' a bit peckish now & it doesn't hurt to eat - wow food is great" (begs).

The question is how to quieten her down. Any chance of a "stroking session" & "quiet time" as soon as you come in? Taking things gently & slowly & seeing what works?

Wow what she did to the yellow pages is awesome!! - Termite Frank has a rival!!

I don't think she's got an addiction problem. My bun is very "straight" with his communication. The sort of things she's doing make me think that she's overjoyed that her mouth doesn't hurt. "Look mum, I can use my teeth now", "whoopee" (does a race round the furniture & bounces off the windowsill) "It's great isn't it?" (rips off some wallpaper) "Feelin' a bit peckish now & it doesn't hurt to eat - wow food is great" (begs).

The question is how to quieten her down. Any chance of a "stroking session" & "quiet time" as soon as you come in? Taking things gently & slowly & seeing what works?
What you are saying completely makes sense! Judy you're just fabulous! Thumper is a very very lucky bunny for sure!

The thing is we do have quiet time when I do come in and lots of snuggles, alot of the time I just lay on the bed with her and she goes into a trance :). Just when it comes to a stop she turns into the terror!:lol: I will spend more time with her in hope it will help, but I don't want it to get to the extent that the others feel left out.

I'll let you know of any improvements. :)

I've tried to find other buns who've gone "hyperactive" when they suddenly feel better after prolonged illness.

Matt with severe snuffles starts to get active on post #138 http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...e.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3444021#post3444021. He sure wastes no time in getting back to being a bright bunny!
Thumper was certainly much happier after his 1st. dental. His annoying habit is "carpet tugging"!
3 buns isn't much to make a firm statement on. But the correlation between improvement in illness, & behaviour is very strong.

Back