• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues: would you rehome to a breeder?

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Just a thought from another thread.

If bun is neutered pre rehome - there would be no light-switched-off issues

We kind of already accept that breeders have "stock" & other bunnies they regard as pets - so could "pet" be from a Rescue? In a way - it's like a fosterer - they have their own buns, & then effectively buns-they-can't-get-attached to, that go back to Rescue/new home.

Discuss:D

Last edited:
If the breeder had hundreds of rabbits, and all in tiny cages then I could see why they wouldn't rehome. I think it would really depend on the rescue's experience with breeders, some don't mind responsible ones but other are hugely against. If the rabbit is going to have a good life, then why not?

I think it would depend on the breeder :) you get both good and bad ones.

some breders actually have pet rabbits (which are cross breeds mismarked etc) and from pictures look happy and well cared for :)

i say if teh breeder is good then why not its not like they can breed from a neutered rabbit etc.

I don't have a problem with it as long as the breeder passes the rescues homechck and that includes the accommodation which their current rabbits are in.

I know lots of breeders have cross breeds or retired rabbits just as pets :) I can't see why these pets couldn't be from a rescue if they were going to be well looked after

I wouldnt want my foster buns going to a breeder, even if they were neutered. I dont know what the rspca's view is on it though :?

the problem some may have is the attitude of people who have bred/or breed
If you are able to help create a life, then sell it..in some cases to anyone who turns up..then it wouldn't be the right mind set for adopting
People who can pass on animals for no good reason, wouldn't fit the "stable forever home" type most rescues look for:?

Thats good. I think its unfortunate that so many adult rabbits, once no use for breeding, find their way to the free ads.

Back