• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you burn rabbit waste?????

amme

Warren Scout
i have got too much waste for my compost bin and dont know what to do with it all. I am not allowed to put it in my normal garden bin for the council to take

i have got too much waste for my compost bin and dont know what to do with it all. I am not allowed to put it in my normal garden bin for the council to take

Oh, really, oops, we always put ours in the garden bin, I never thought about it

GREAT:thumb::thumb::thumb:

looks like we are going to buy an incinerator tommorrow then.

yeah we have a label on ours that says no rabbit waste :(

That's strange :? Does it say rabbits specifically or no animal waste?
Maybe I should check my bin too.. I never really thought about it before :lol:

yeah it says no animal watse including rabbits, i wouldnt mind but we have 2 brown bins that are empty:censored:

When I checked about rabbit waste with our council they said they were concerned about the infectious pathogens that some animal waste may carry so have blanket banned all waste. Have to say I can see their point.

I know someone who burns their bunny waste.

Our council have always taken it, & next door's guinea pig waste, but went through a phase when they wouldn't take "reject" hay. :?
ETA Sorry I x posted Luce Marbles. I understand the issues now.

Are brown garden waste? If you're unlikely to fill them over winter you could use one as a temporary compost bin ;)

We don't get a brown bin where I live:?, we have a half size black bin, three green bins and three compost bins:). We also have a 'burner' bin and we burn our post and rabbit waste included (if compost bins are full) in there. We've also got one of those machines that you put twigs/hedge bits in and it chops it up to form bark sort of stuff to put on the garden. :)

Other garden waste we have to take to the tip! I always thought it was odd that my O/H's mum had a brown bin, now it seems like it's normal!!:lol:

When I checked about rabbit waste with our council they said they were concerned about the infectious pathogens that some animal waste may carry so have blanket banned all waste. Have to say I can see their point.

Yep it depends in part at least on how they treat it and what they do with it afterwards - if they don't heat treat it, there could be potential pathogens in it which then get spread around, so they do have to be careful :)

Our garden waste bin says no animal waste. I emailed the council saying stuff like it's vegetarian and all that, and they still wouldn't let us :(

I do sneak bits into every bin though, then cover it up

thanks alot. i think i am going to get a burner to burn it all in, I have been looking and people say that the metal bins are no good as they melt!!!!!!! You need an old oil drum or something similar. I may just put an add in the co op by us -" rabbit waste for compost bins, free for collection :D

thanks alot. i think i am going to get a burner to burn it all in, I have been looking and people say that the metal bins are no good as they melt!!!!!!! You need an old oil drum or something similar. I may just put an add in the co op by us -" rabbit waste for compost bins, free for collection :D

We have the metal bin, they don't melt, but do go rusty..if you leave them in the rain! :lol:..would never have guessed that..:roll:

We've only had to replace it once in 3 years.:wave:

i can cope with rust once every 3 years :D, dont suppose you can tell me which sort you have got????:oops:

Or if you have allotments near you, you could always ask if anyone there wants some.....in return for a few vegetables.

Or if you have allotments near you, you could always ask if anyone there wants some.....in return for a few vegetables.

thats a good idea:D, we have got allotments within walking distance, yummy veggies for the rabbits

Back