• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas trees and rabbits

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure what im going to do this year,As now we have Lyric i think she might try and eat the tree :lol: What do you do if you have house rabbits?

Max and Lola have never been interested in the christmas tree, only the presents and wires underneath it! So we put the tree on top of the coffee table, and the presents and wires are out of reach!..

The thing I'm worrying about this year is my two cats, it's their first christmas with us, and they're both only 1 year old..and still very kitten like :shock:.

I'm hoping to get a potted Christmas tree off my grandma, I know Rimmi and Winter will probably sniff it but only because they are nosy.... I may have to raise the pot off the ground slightly so they cant get the wires... mind you, Lyric is rather a bit bigger than my two so my problem isnt as great! :lol:

My two housebuns don't go in the room where we will be putting the tree. I don't think Herbie would bother with it anyway, but Sugar would probably eat it.

I'm in the same position as Jaysmonkey...we have two very mischievious 6 month old kittens and what they'll get up to with a decorated tree I daren't imagine. :shock:

Not having the (artificial) tree up this year. Luna scoffed a lot of it last year and I KNOW Smudgie is going to be highly interested in it and there's no way we can realistically prevent them from going near it. So instead I've got a garland to run across the front windowsill that I'm going to decorate myself with some of the tree trimmings :wave:

Louie is banned from the front room where the tree is, though the 14 yr old cat was diving around in it this morning :roll:

Louie is banned from the front room where the tree is, though the 14 yr old cat was diving around in it this morning :roll:

Oh no don't say that! :lol: We never had issue with my old cats (R.I.P) but I'm nervous! Even more now! :lol:

Eeeek, it's our kitty's first Christmas with us (she's about 2 yrs old) and we're wondering if putting the tree up is asking for trouble - I guess what you just said means "Yes". :lol::lol:

My bridge bunny Titch used to love playing with the low decorations, pushing them and making them swing, and then used to enjoy sitting in amongst the presents.

Bunnyundertree.jpg

Although, not sure what Jack is going to do. He may be decamped into a different room whilst the tree is up if he can't behave himself (which he usually cant :roll:)

I've had to block our tree off with an exercise pen but Jose and Rainbow still manage to push their noses through the bars and chew it! :roll:

I had to block ours off last year as Ronnie enjoyed sitting there eating it :roll:

Why do they chew everything they're not supposed to??? :roll:

Rainbow is not impressed with the pen being there, he keeps grabbing it with his teeth and then lifts it up off the floor and drops back down again with a big clatter :roll:

Why do they chew everything they're not supposed to??? :roll:

Rainbow is not impressed with the pen being there, he keeps grabbing it with his teeth and then lifts it up off the floor and drops back down again with a big clatter :roll:

:lol::lol: He sounds like a little tinker! Sounds as if hes come out of his shell a bit since hes been with you :love:

is it toxic as they say it is only my old next door neighbour told us about their rabbits as kids and how they fed them the xmas tree after christmas!!

Don't know on this one this year! Have always been ok in the past, but with Archie I'm dreading it!!! :shock::lol: And with Mia, our new cat - because she is completely loopy!!! :roll::lol:

Think they'll both be having a competition to see who can pull it over first! :roll::lol:

These articles say its not toxic unless its been sprayed with pesticides..needle drop prevention spray or fake snow.

http://www.bunnybytes.com/update/page1.html

http://www.crafthelpfaq.org/Christmas+Trees/

weve had hell last two years with the cats..theyre three now and show no signs of outgrowing runing up and down and round and around inside the fake xmas tree!! in fact last year we had to have a little fibre optic one from wilkies on our little telephone table! bertie was most upset..he loves snoozing under the tree.

this year nikki splurged and bought online a pot grown fraser fir tree..its weird as the needles are kinda soft and it smells kinda of lemons.

we will see if the dont like the real one..our old cats didnt mind theyd strip the decs whatever.:lol:

ive always found buns love baubles lowish down so they can nosebutt them..and keep them moving...we even used to have a bell and it was rung frequently by a bunny nose:lol:

I traded in the big tree for a smaller one that I place out of reach on a table. Julie is really good at tearing into gifts. She can get all the wrapping paper off a gift in a mater of minutes. She likes to eat the tape.

Eddison didn't eat the Christmas tree, but he loved hiding under it and drinking from its base!! :lol::lol: I had to cover up the water with sticky notes, but he ate those! :roll: (Although one of them stuck to his face and he learned his lesson :lol:)

So that's the story of how I learned that Eddison preferred bowls to bottles!

love it!!:lol:

no presents cant be left under the tree..if not buns then its stupid cats chewing the wrapping paper and pulling off the tags...:shock::lol:

I have a potted (real) Christmas tree that's small enough to sit on the bay window sill out of reach. It's been out in the garden since last Christmas, unchewed by either rabbit, but the wires for the lights are best out of reach...

A couple of years ago when I took Muppet for Christmas at my mother's, he was much more interested in chewing the tree but I think that was just general naughtiness! He also enjoyed knocking the decorations off, nibbling the presents and hiding behind it so we couldnt get him out :roll: :lol:

Back