• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour prior to bunny passing

KatyG

New Kit
Hi

I wondered if anyone could shed any light to this? My bunny unfortunatley passed away two days ago! she was 18 months old and very fit and healthy so we thought. just before she died she was playing in the garden and took out her straw from the hutch and placed it in a circle on the grass. Like she know she was going to die. I have heard one other person say this happens but wondered if anyone knows why or if they have had similar experiences?

Thanks
Katy g XX

Sorry for your loss

The only thing I can think of was that she was nesting? - Caused by pregnancy or phantom pregnancy (hormonal)? It seems strange that it was on grass though - you would expect it to be in a hutch/hidey hole:?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I believe some bunnies do know. My Moon definitely knew, as did I. When I realised Moon was super ill I asked my mum to hold her and Moon was content to be held for a while, and then she started to burrow down into the fleece she was being held in, and it was so clear she just knew.

Having said that, nest making is another possibility. Is there any way she could have been pregnant and died kindling?

I read the post to my mum and she also wondered if there were fumes or something in the hutch, and she pulled the straw out to be comfortable but was overcome with the fumes or something. Is she near a gass vent or anything?

thanks for your advice

There is just a brick wall behind the hutch so no reason for fumes.
I am so sad that she has gone and i couldnt help or knew.

She hasnt been in contact with any other bunnies so i dont think she was pregnant.

Im really concious about getting another incase it is something i have given her to eat or something.... oh i dont know.. bless her xx

Awwwhhh, I'm really sorry you lost your bunny. :cry: I don't really have anything to add that the others haven't.

I don't think you should worry that it was your fault though. Some bunnies do unfortunately die young. :( I've lost a few before they even reached their first birthdays in the past, when they've seemed perfectly healthy.

If she was happy and healthy for the 18 months you had her, I would think you were looking after her really well. :) Don't be too worried to get a new bun when you feel ready. :love:

Back