• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATE FROM VETS - URGENT Desmond to emergency vets - help please

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
I hope someone can help:

Desmond was diagnosed with a severe sprained front leg on tuesday am. He was prescribed Metacam (to point 3 on the syringe) every 24 hours and lots of rest.

He seemed to be doing well and gone from hunched up obviously in pain to lying down.

Last night we got in and he hopped around but found eating from the floor difficult so i sat and fed him.

This morning he refused to eat much but his metacam dose had just been given so i presumed it was hurting while the metacam started working. When we got home this evening he was lying in his cage looking awful - fast breathing, floppy (not completely but more than normal), not eating or drinking, let me pick him up, eyes not happy and no poos.

We called the emergency vets and went straight down there. They checked his temp 40oc ish but noticed that his wee was orange. He just lay on the table being prodded. The vet thinks he might have an upset tummy from the metacam as everything else (heart, chest, temp etc) are all ok.

Since we started giving him the metacam he has had weird poos - long in shape, very hard and generally weird. Has anyone else had this problem?

We have been sent home from the vets with a baytril antibiotic shot, bio lapsis to give in one go as a paste, water and baby food to syringe into him.

We have a review at the vets at 9am.

I just dont know whats happening? Anyone got any ideas? I am worried the vet may have missed something but not sure what else he could have checked for?

How much food / water should i be giving and how often?

Last edited:
I must admit that I have never had any problems from Metacam :?

Is Desmond responsive now ?

How did he sprain his leg ?

I must admit that I have never had any problems from Metacam :?

Is Desmond responsive now ?

How did he sprain his leg ?

He is responsive but still not eating or drinking. He is just lying in his cage.

We arent sure how he sprained his leg but suspect chasing the kitten!

Just a thought but i'm sure it says on the Metacam leaflet or box not to feed on an empty tum. If he hasn't eaten much, could it possibly have zonked him out???????:? Just a suggestion:?

Did the Vet confirm that there is no obstruction in his GI tract ?
I guess so if you have been told to give supportive feeds .......

Re the fluids/feeds I would go for little and often. Up to 10ml/kg every couple of hours.

Personally I'd make up a liquid feed using the Pellets he'd normally have rather than baby food. Baby food does not contain enough crude fibre, the most important thing for a Rabbit's GI tract.

If you soak a few pellets in boiled water, mash them up then add more water til the mix can be drawn up into a syringe.

I hope Desmond starts to feel better soon.

Just a thought but i'm sure it says on the Metacam leaflet or box not to feed on an empty tum. If he hasn't eaten much, could it possibly have zonked him out???????:? Just a suggestion:?

Good thought! He hasnt had it since this am. The vets said that he could have it on an empty tum following his dental a few weeks ago?

He seems sad though as well not just doppy as though something hurts?

Did the Vet confirm that there is no obstruction in his GI tract ?
I guess so if you have been told to give supportive feeds .......

Re the fluids/feeds I would go for little and often. Up to 10ml/kg every couple of hours.

Personally I'd make up a liquid feed using the Pellets he'd normally have rather than baby food. Baby food does not contain enough crude fibre, the most important thing for a Rabbit's GI tract.

If you soak a few pellets in boiled water, mash them up then add more water til the mix can be drawn up into a syringe.

I hope Desmond starts to feel better soon.

How would they check for an obstruction? Not sure if he checked for that?

When he put the thermometer up his bottom it came out with poo on it?

Will try the pellets but slightly worried that maybe its an obstruction?

Metacam will not have a sedating effect even if he had it on an empty stomach.
My unqualified opinion is that the problem is unrelated to Metacam.

How would they check for an obstruction? Not sure if he checked for that?

When he put the thermometer up his bottom it came out with poo on it?

Will try the pellets but slightly worried that maybe its an obstruction?

By abdominal examination and if in any doubt a conscious abdominal Xray.

Metacam will not have a sedating effect even if he had it on an empty stomach.
My unqualified opinion is that the problem is unrelated to Metacam.

i couldnt see why the problem was with the metacam? He had it a few weeks ago following his dental and no problems.

His wee is orange and there are still no poos :(

How do they check for an obstruction? Not sure if that was done?

Sorry, no advice but just wanted to say I hope he improves during the night. Sending him lots of get well vibes.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and help.

Still no poos. Urine is getting more and more orange??

Had some water via syringe and just done the pellets - letting them cool.

omg..he needs to go back to the vets hun..asap.....

when they go on this long it can be serious or fatal even...never underestimate go probs.

he could be in pain from gas build up caused by stasis..and he could also get ulcerated its from not eating.....

the fluids are not enough..he needs to have fluids under the skin via the vets and metaclopramide injections. Also if you can get hold any get some protexin FIBREPLEX..its a carrot flavoured probiotic paste thats also chock ffull of fibre.

some vets need a kick up the rear when it comes to stasis and buns....:evil:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2008&PID=23995&O=Generic

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Back