• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lilly n Tilly not coming out of cage- any ideas why?

:wave: Have a strange problem,

Our buns Lil n Til have to be in a dog crate when we are not home, and then let out when we are home.
Up until a week ago they couldn't wait to be let out and would spend hours running about, jumping on the sofa ect.
But now they prefer to be in the cage, they will come out when first opened, but only for 10mins we sit down there with their cage door open, but they dont come out:cry:.

Im getting stressed cause they are not having enough exercise, its a huge 2 tier crate but its really not enough space for full time........what can i do, and i dont understand why they are not out as much?.

Any advice would be brill, i dont know what im doing wrong:cry:.

Hi, there could be lots of reasons - i'd look at anything you have changed recently? different smells, furniture rearranged, turned the heating on?

Also, if they have got scared being out at any point? Indi is a bit of a wuss and if she gets startled she goes back to her room and hangs out there for a while, then sneaks back in very cautiously!

try feeding them their pellets or veg in the lounge so they associate being out with good things?

Hi, there could be lots of reasons - i'd look at anything you have changed recently? different smells, furniture rearranged, turned the heating on?

Also, if they have got scared being out at any point? Indi is a bit of a wuss and if she gets startled she goes back to her room and hangs out there for a while, then sneaks back in very cautiously!

try feeding them their pellets or veg in the lounge so they associate being out with good things?[/QUOTE

:wave: thankyou for replying, im stressing (as always)
we have no heating in our house, apart from 2 oil filled radiators one is in the front room (where Lilly n Tilly are) although is naff and the room is still cold.

I had 2 take them 2 the vet yesterday (for their myxo), it wasnt that fun getting them in the carry case (had to do it on my own)
Dont think that helped but its been going on for about a week.

Will def try the food outside (its just such a change from them, they are usually all over the room like a rash, eating my sofa and wallpaper ect:cry:

Can you not set up the crate in a fenced off area so they get out more. If you are out at work all day, then a dog crate will not give them a great deal of space for such long periods. Its lovely they are house rabbits. I don't know why they are reluctant to come out of the crate.

Can you not set up the crate in a fenced off area so they get out more. If you are out at work all day, then a dog crate will not give them a great deal of space for such long periods. Its lovely they are house rabbits. I don't know why they are reluctant to come out of the crate.

:wave: We are defiantly going to expand, looking at using nic cubes or a pen:).

It is a mystery as to why they are being like this, they are let out for 3 days 7am- 11pm (either me or o/h is off). And when i come home at 3 on the other days they are let out then till about 11ish. Its not ideal at the minute, i agree, lil n till were not planned, and then when we got them i was only meant to be ''fostering'' but fell in love with them so they are staying:D.

Perhaps they are just more relaxed in their surroundings now, I know that we always think its for a bad reason when things change in their behaviour but sometimes its not the case, anyway, sending you masses of running around eating sofa and wallpaper vibes :wave::lol:

Nic cubes are a great idea. Its so easy to fall in love with foster bunnies.

If they are well in themselves, eating and pooing well, and walking okay, I would not worry too much.

Could they be smelling other bunnies?

Perhaps they are just more relaxed in their surroundings now, I know that we always think its for a bad reason when things change in their behaviour but sometimes its not the case, anyway, sending you masses of running around eating sofa and wallpaper vibes :wave::lol:

:lol::lol: thank you. Cant wait for that either (never thought id be saying that:lol:).

Nic cubes are a great idea. Its so easy to fall in love with foster bunnies.

If they are well in themselves, eating and pooing well, and walking okay, I would not worry too much.

Could they be smelling other bunnies?[/QUOT

Eating n pooing fine, they seem fine in themselves alert, and quick to jump down the ramp when you open the cage, but just not that interested when we do.

We do have our SophieAnnie and Shaun upstairs, but im hot on us changing clothes when we move from down to up, and washing hands, ive been paranoid from the start on either pair smelling the others and breaking the bond we have between the 2 pairs of buns.

Back