• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lice - spot on dose??

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Would anybody be willing to work out some doses for me please??

8 of my rabbits have what I think are lice, they appear to have come in on the hay.

I phoned my vet and he said I could use the Beaphar spot on, but I'm worried about getting the dose wrong as I know it's quite easy to overdose on ivermectin :?

I haven't bought it yet but have spoken to a local petshop who told me the box say it's 1 pipette per 750g of body weight.

I've just weighed all the rabbits (and am now very itchy :oops:) I'm not 100% convinced the scale were totally accurate so will double check tomorrow with new batteries but for now the weights are...

Harry 2.3kg
Sophie 2.9kg
Simon 4kg
Willow 2kg
Smudge 2.3kg
Jasper 2.5kg
Jack 2.9kg
Emily 2.6kg

I'd appreciate any help given, thanks.

Harry 3 pipettes
Sophie 4 pipettes
Simon 5 pipettes
Willow 2 and a half (if its possible to give half a pipette?)
Smudge 3 pipettes
Jasper 3 pipettes
Jack 4 pipettes
Emily 3 and a half pipettes

The way I worked it out is: there are 1000 grams in a kilogram so if you convert the rabbits weight into grams, e.g., Harry is 2.3kg which is 2300g. Then divide that by 750g, so 2300 divided by 750 = 3.06 so you use 3 pipettes.

Hope this makes sense!

I have bought the Beaphar spot on but havent used it yet so let me know if it works!

My two rabbits are house rabbits about about a year and half ago,I noticed the older boy "Rio",had a few bald spots on the back of his neck,with what looked like some irritation.Off to the vets,she took some skin scrappings and there was evidence of mites,he had to get an injection with two follow up doses.Of course we had to get his wifie treated too as they snuggle up all the time even though they are in different cages at night.(They like their own bedrooms,lol)I asked how did he catch mites as he's a total house rabbit..They can catch them from the hay,she suggested putting their hay for the next day in the freezer for 24 hours from then on,no problems since then.

Back