• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

REWs and Scanning

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi
Its for the project (nearly finished!! :shock:)

I'm trying to find sources of info on REWs or red eyed rabbits that have poor vision or 'scan' - i can find stuff on random websites, but cant find any reliable info

anyone got any resources or suggestions?

I can't find anything about REW rabbits, but have you tried searching for the affects of albinoism?

Is it a paper report or can it include videos? If so I have some small clips of Max scanning, they're not great, but I can upload them onto photobucket, just let me know :wave:.

Is it a paper report or can it include videos? If so I have some small clips of Max scanning, they're not great, but I can upload them onto photobucket, just let me know :wave:.

sadly its a paper report :( but i'd love to see them anyway

Can I just say that not only REW rabbits do it.
Angel is a REW and has 6 babies, of which only one is a REW.
Frosty has blue eyes and the rest have brown, and the majority scan :wave:

Can I just say that not only REW rabbits do it.
Angel is a REW and has 6 babies, of which only one is a REW.
Frosty has blue eyes and the rest have brown, and the majority scan :wave:

*nods* It's to do with inheriting the gene. It is commonly also found that sables scan because they are bred with REWs is the show world.

thanks jane - i dont know what it is that you do that i dont! :oops: though perhaps i spelt 'abinism' wrong? :?

And thanks Hetty etc for the other tips - clearly i still have lots to look up....

I swear at my PC monitor if Google doesn't come up with the goods :)

that's really interesting - i've never seen one do it before, its kind of like a trance. Do they ever get distressed or confused afterwards?

Those links were brilliant btw Jane, thanks massively :thumb:

that's really interesting - i've never seen one do it before, its kind of like a trance. Do they ever get distressed or confused afterwards?

No I've never seen them get distressed or confused.
They could do it if they are distressed or confused.
I believe it's where their vision is impaired and they're trying to have a good look at their surroundings.

I've never seen him confused or distressed afterwards. He often does it whilst laid out relaxing too, and his vision isn't necessarily impaired (as in nothing in his way).

Back