• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with dental buns...

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
When they're beginning to need another dental, do they start doing a few unformed droppings?

I have different signs for different buns, but yes, that can be a sign, although it can be a sign of other problems too.

Santa's main symptom is that she starts to eat differently - she grabs grass in her mouth and tugs it out of the ground by throwing her head back. She also opens her mouth wider than usual while she's chewing. I'd never noticed any change in droppings, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a sign in some buns.

Santa's main symptom is that she starts to eat differently - she grabs grass in her mouth and tugs it out of the ground by throwing her head back. She also opens her mouth wider than usual while she's chewing. I'd never noticed any change in droppings, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a sign in some buns.

This is the same with Lily too.Having her teeth out in the NY hopefully.She cant have her teeth done every 3 weeks....

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure poor little Ginger needs another dental (feels like he's literally just come round from the last one!). He's done a few loose droppings in the last couple of days, which I thought might be a pointer. Today he's following me round asking for food, but won't eat what I give him, in between lying hunched up with his eyes closed. I'm hoping my sister will bring the orascope (sp?) back tonight and have a look, but she's not very good with it. What if she says it looks alright? The buns are booked with the vet practice she works at, so I can't really take them in to be double checked without her knowing. Dilemma...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure poor little Ginger needs another dental (feels like he's literally just come round form the last one!). He's done a few loose droppings in the last couple of days, which I thought might be a pointer. Today he's following me round asking for food, but won't eat what I give him, in between lying hunched up with his eyes closed. I'm hoping my sister will bring the orascope (sp?) back tonight and have a look, but she's not very good with it. What if she says it looks alright? The buns are booked with the vet practice she works at, so I can't really take them in to be double checked without her knowing. Dilemma...

Could you maybe get her to "teach" you how to use it when you come round. You could have a look online for what to do and what to look for and you can double check her opinion because you are interested.

Could you maybe get her to "teach" you how to use it when you come round. You could have a look online for what to do and what to look for and you can double check her opinion because you are interested.

That's not a bad idea actually! Except that I'm a little rubbish at vet stuff - I pulled out his dew claw the other day!! :shock:

Mary would start leaving his pellets (which was unheard of at any other time!), his poos would get dryer and smaller due to eating less hay, and his coat would get a bit scruffy. When Squishy had dodgy incisors, he had lots of excess caecals where he found it easier to eat pellets than hay.
If you're worried, definately get him checked - if you're worrying about your sister being offended, just say he was still acting odd and as his teeth looked fine you wanted his general health checked and say they looked at his teeth at the same time.

I would say maybe go and take him to be checked out. You don't necessarily need your sister to check him and then you won't have to worry about having him checked twice. Although, if she doesn't see anything it is ok to get him checked again because there is obviosuly something wrong.

The buns are booked with the vet practice she works at, so I can't really take them in to be double checked without her knowing. Dilemma...

I don't think it's really a dilemma, as even if she thinks his teeth are ok, something is obviously wrong so he needs to go to the vets to be examined anyway :)

I don't think it's really a dilemma, as even if she thinks his teeth are ok, something is obviously wrong so he needs to go to the vets to be examined anyway :)

She actually has very little interest in rabbits, and after a hard days work stitching up dogs and inseminating cows she rarely in the mood anyway!! The trouble is she gets really funny with me if I don't use her as their vet! :roll:

I guess I'll just have her check, and get a second opinion if she says they're fine. I'm really struggling for money at the moment though so how I'll pay for it is another question!!

My dental bun used to start eating slower and rushing up to food and then sit and think about it for a while. Sometimes she also started to dribble a little but I never noticed any difference with her droppings. I do agree it sounds like he needs a quick check up whether it is his teeth or something else.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure poor little Ginger needs another dental (feels like he's literally just come round form the last one!). He's done a few loose droppings in the last couple of days, which I thought might be a pointer. Today he's following me round asking for food, but won't eat what I give him, in between lying hunched up with his eyes closed. I'm hoping my sister will bring the orascope (sp?) back tonight and have a look, but she's not very good with it. What if she says it looks alright? The buns are booked with the vet practice she works at, so I can't really take them in to be double checked without her knowing. Dilemma...

Dont suppose this indicates pain??? Just wondering??

If he is lying hunched up I think that could be an indicator of pain. I would definitely take him along to the vets.

Differences in poo size/shape/colour when there hasn't been a change of diet can all point to dental issues. Likewise showing an interest in food but being reluctant to eat it is also a sign.

When was his last dental?

When was his last dental?

6th October, although it feels like he's only just had one! He's very good at hiding it unfortunately, and he got really bad last time. Obviously I want to nip it in the bud.

Katie just got home anyway. She hasn't brought the orascope, so obviously she can't check. She's going out tomorrow night too so won't be able to do it then either. It's kinda the best thing that could have happened anyway because now I can take Ginger to see the rabbit savvy guy tomorrow without offending her, and hopefully get him booked in pronto.

I don't know whether to hope it IS his teeth so it can be sorted, or hope that it ISN'T so he doesn't have to have the GA again. Nobody told me when I signed up for bunnies just how stressful it would be!!

Dental buns are such a worry! I know what you mean about hoping that it was something else so they don't have to have the GA again.

Do you have metacam you could give him tonight? If you don't you could ask your vet tomorrow if you could have some home with you that you could give him when he seems in pain.

2 months is short, but at least you know when to start keeping an extra close eye on his eating.

Try tempting him tonight with extra tasty treats, herbs etc.

Hope it all goes well for him : )

Ginger definitely needs to see a vet. It sounds likely to be his teeth.
My bun needs a dental about every 5 weeks, but his teeth don't meet properly! I agree with Sky-O that each bun is different.

I can only deal with the GA side by thinking how horrid it must be to be hungry but too painful to eat. Yes, I dread the day when he doesn't make it, but console myself that HE won't know - just go for another GA & not wake up.

linus poops used to get quite small, then he would get a lil huntched, linus was very good at hiding his pain bless his heart, because hed still run round like a loon an eat with gutso

Ok, DISASTER! It turns out that Petplan don't pay for dentals - apparently my mum paid for their previous ones! I really don't know how I'm going to pay for the vet, there's no one I can borrow off, but I can't leave just leave it!

Really don't know what to do. :cry:

Back