• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
I have read a few posts on here about bunnies being wormed.

When I took Lorenzo for his injections after adopting him I did ask about worming and the vet said that they do not normally worm rabbits. I adopted Daisy a couple of weeks ago and she is having her 2nd injection (Myxo - she has had her VHD) on Saturday. Should I ask the vet to worm her? (and get stuff for Lorenzo/arrange to take him in)?

I did definitely ask though and the vet said they don't do it. I was quite surprised but didn't push the matter. Having grown up with dogs all my life worming is the norm, but these are my first rabbits so I am still learning. As both of the bunnies are outside I want them to be protected against as much as possible - I would much rather worming them now rather than having to sort out an ill bun.

Just as an aside! I am going to have a go at bonding Loz and Daisy after Christmas (she needs to have her 'op' first) - they are so lovely when they are in their adjoining runs they snuggle nose to nose and Daisy hops around her run looking for Lorenzo if he is somewhere else eating (it is his favourite past time)! I can't wait they are such lovely buns! :)

Worming is an option really for bunny owners. I have been told recently that the meds are only effective for a very short time, so the benefit is slightly limited.

However, I get mine done twice a year, or more. I get her panacur, my vet recommends it.

Worming is something you can do yourself, you don't need a vet to do it. You can buy Panacur for rabbits in some pet shops or you can order it online.

The standard advice is to give them a 9 day course between 2 and 4 times a year. It's not something that all vets agree with, but I think the majority say that you should do it.

This came recommended to me for guinea-pigs and I want to try it with mine; it can also be used for rabbits. It's a once-a-month treatment which sounds more feasible than a course of Panacur (and is the only reason why I haven't yet wormed my rabbits). Squeakers are easy to syringe-feed, but I can't see my rabbits co-operating somehow! Also, a 30ml bottle is only 7 pounds and should last 6 squeakers and 2 bunnies around 7 months.

http://holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/pr...id=87&osCsid=0c27dfb9e8da7297a8cff8c87b6037ff

Last edited:
This came recommended to me for guinea-pigs and I want to try it with mine; it can also be used for rabbits. It's a once-a-month treatment which sounds more feasible than a course of Panacur (and is the only reason why I haven't yet wormed my rabbits). Squeakers are easy to syringe-feed, but I can't see my rabbits co-operating somehow! Also, a 30ml bottle is only 7 pounds and should last 6 squeakers and 2 bunnies around 7 months.

http://holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/pr...id=87&osCsid=0c27dfb9e8da7297a8cff8c87b6037ff
I would be very skeptical of relying on a product that is described like this:
Four Seasons is made from only natural ingredients, known and used for many hundreds of years by herbalists, combining herbal and homeopathic ingredients
Panacur has at least been scientifically tested and shown to reduce the levels of EC. The only real disagreement on panacur in rabbits is whether it should be used as a preventative treatment in otherwise healthy rabbits and what the best way to administer a course is.

I agree - also, looking at the description of the Four Seasons stuff, it's aimed at parasites in the intestinal tract, whereas panacur/lapizole deal with those and e.cuniculi infection which is potentiall distributed around the rabbit's body.

Worming rabbits is a recent phenomenon - they don't travel as freely away from their territory as dogs do (i.e. they don't go for walks!) and they don't eat other animals that are likely to be hosts to types of worms, so the chances of them picking up worms is much lower. They can get worms but it's uncommon. 'Worming' rabbits is usually more related to trying to prevent infection or illness from e.cuniculi :)

Thanks for the info! I guess it is just a preventative but is it a necessary one? The potential positives are obvious but are there any down sides/risks?

Treatment for Intestinal Worms

There seem to be a lot of threads about worming at the moment, so apologies for possibly repeating this, but one of my buns has got a case of Worms at the moment. (So it can happen!)

Is the panacur paste 9 day course aimed at treating worms? Or is it geared towards EC?

I remember about 5 years ago worming by using 2 doses 2 weeks apart?

Can anyone confirm this please?

Also, how likely is it that all my buns will be effected? I've got 2 pairs living separately (one pair indoor, one pair outdoors)

Thanks!

ETA: Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack your thread - i'll make my own!!

Last edited:
Back