• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or Straw for bedding

pol287

Warren Scout
Hi. I have been given conflicting advice regarding bedding. On one hand I have been told that hay is better in the bed area of the hutch rather than straw as straw is not good for them to eat. Yet, on the other hand I have been told straw keeps them warmer. What do people recommend? Thanks :?

Straw isn't particularly bad, it's just that hay is the best thing for them to eat. I use hay because they always eat what is in their litter tray.

I use both - hay is ideal because it is very good for their teeth and guts and should form the bulk of their diet; straw seems to be better insulating so is cosier. It's not dangerous if they eat straw, it just doesn't have the same nutritional value to them that hay does. I pack their sleeping area with straw and then top it with hay, so they can sit and munch on the hay while they are all snuggly :)

I use both too. The litter trays are packed with hay as they love to eat and poop, the bed is stuffed with straw as its a better insulator and mine don't eat it so they have a nice cosy bed for longer that stays clean.

thank you. Will go and get some straw for the bed area now. I have a snugglesafe heat pad but one of my buns digs at it and tries to push it down the ramp in the hutch, so am reluctant to use it. :)

i use both too. I have lined the bottom and sides od the bed area with straw and then put loads of hay on top. :)

Ive been told straw has too many sharp bits & could hurt their eyes but I think its warmer for buns as it seems to bulk out better.Mine are in doors so that doesn't really matter.I usually use hay but it always looks so dirty so if I have people come round[not very often]I give the buns straw because it looks & smells better!!:lol:

I always find a thread with great advice in this forum!

I have a lady flemish who lives in a shed at night and has run of the garden during the day.

Recently she has started wetting and pooping in her bed area - which I've always used hay for. Is it good for her to be eating the same stuff she is pooing and weeing in ? I change it pretty regularly

Ha ha - the questions we have to ask!

I always find a thread with great advice in this forum!

I have a lady flemish who lives in a shed at night and has run of the garden during the day.

Recently she has started wetting and pooping in her bed area - which I've always used hay for. Is it good for her to be eating the same stuff she is pooing and weeing in ? I change it pretty regularly

Ha ha - the questions we have to ask!

Yes that's entirely normal. Although it seems unhygenic to us, rabbits don't seem to mind and there's no way of stopping them :lol:

Ive been told straw has too many sharp bits

I don't use straw for my piggies for that reason as they are a bit more sensitive and lower to the ground but my buns have never had a prob with the straw.

This is exactly what I have done over the years. Also newspapers under the straw for extra warmth. the hay on top of the straw should make it soft.-sue-:wave:

I use both - hay is ideal because it is very good for their teeth and guts and should form the bulk of their diet; straw seems to be better insulating so is cosier. It's not dangerous if they eat straw, it just doesn't have the same nutritional value to them that hay does. I pack their sleeping area with straw and then top it with hay, so they can sit and munch on the hay while they are all snuggly :)

As it is so cold I have started using straw. I put a thick layer of newspaper down, loads of straw on top of that and then put in hay for the buns to eat.
They seem happy with the straw and like to snuggle into it.

Back