• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run vs free range time

weeble

Shawn and I are buying a house together after christmas and I cant wait. He is being really good and planning where the shed is going and where the indoor buns will be but his one request is that we actually have some of the garden for people :roll:

The dutch trio will have their 6x4 shed as normal but I am a bit stuck with what to do about exercise space. I have the option of attaching their 6x4 run to the shed with 24hr access and thats it or sectioning off part of the garden for them to have supervised free range time but with no run attached, as I dont have space for both. Free range time would be an hour in the morning and 1-4 hours at night in the summer and an hour in the monring and an hour at night in the winter weekdays 5-6 hours a day weekends. What would every one else do?

Last edited:
My garden is for both people and buns? If i had to choose it would be a a run if they'd only get 2 hours a day through the winter freerange but 6x4 isnt very big for them to binky and have fun i think my 8ftx6ft run is abit too small for my trio to actually have a 'run' round.

I would have the run attached to the shed for 24 hr access and then free range as well when im home if I were you. :wave:

Hmmm... I don't have rabbits yet so maybe not the best person to reply! Can you not have a collapsible run so they can have the best of both worlds?!

Or have a fixed run for winter and free range time for summer?

Otherwise I'd agree that a run 24/7 may be better than free range only some of the time. But I would also agree that 6 x 4 doesn't seem that big for 3 medium sized rabbits - I'd want something bigger myself if that was to be the full extent of their exercise-space.

I don't plan to have a 'rabbit section' and a 'people section' to my garden - I hope to make it safe for rabbits but still have a garden we can enjoy too. :)

Hmmmm I think so sweet talking is in order to negotiate all three at least I can show him this thread to prove Im not just being fussy about how much space they need :D

Back