• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

veg/salad bags that say once open consume within 24 hours...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
....does anyone feed them over this allowed time?

because i bought a bag of watercress tonight and the buns have had some for the first time, and the piggies have it aswell.... but it says once open it has to be used within 24 hours.

i buy all the veg to last a week! :?

i always take things out of the plastic packets and put them on a plate on kitchen roll to keep them dry, but still don't know if i should feed them after a day? :?

what does everyone else do?

I use some 'Stay Fresh' bags from Lakeland Limited (used to be Lakeland Plastics, lol!) to help keep my things fresh. I wash them and re-use them over and again but they really seem to help. :)

So far as food goes..... um; I'm really not much of a 'best before date' sort of person! If it looks and smells ok I use it. That goes for us as well as the animals, lol! :lol:

I think with green stuff it's pretty easy to see when it's going 'off' and isn't fresh any longer - it wilts, gets soggy etc. So if it's obviously fine I use it.

My concerns would be if it started to ferment, would it cause bloat. I don't use salad bags because they are washed in chlorine - unless they are marked with rinsed in spring water or unwashed.

If I would eat it I usually feel it's good enough for the bunnies (and I'm quite fussy about that sort of thing). I don't really pay much attention to use by dates etc.

as someone saidthe bags are washed in cholrine and they are also filled with a gas to, to keep them fresh,

water cress is best bought if you can from green grocer and put in a jug of water that way it last longer and a lot less chemicals:D

I feed our bunnies the left over Florette salad - but I'm a bit unsure of what is actually in them. It doesn't say on all the bags what the actual salad is - the one I've got now says 'sweet and crunchy salad leaves'. Anyone know which type of salad bags is best to get? I can't always tell by looking whether the leaves are lettuce or something they are okay with.

tbh honest best thing you can do if you can pop to your green grocers and ask for any left overs the amount they throw is silly, i always get cauli leaves greens carrots etc from mine

though i have to be quick or it goes to somones else who has pigs :lol:

like curly kale you can only really get big leaves now from the grocers, as supermarkets stick it in bags, buy loose not bagged, if you must get bagged thoughly wash it even if it say washed and ready to use

I just stick piece of kitchen roll in the bag to keep it fresher for longer.

All this talk of green grocers has made me think, how many of us have green grocers near us these days?? :shock:

there is a green grocers near my mum and dads and i went in and asked if i could have ay left overs for the buns and he said 'no, i would rather throw them away!' :shock::evil:

i haven't been back in since and never will now!

i think there is another near me but as i only go out to asda once a week i would have to leave it to my bf to have a look.....so goodness knows what he will come back with!!! :roll::lol:

We've got a brilliant greengroceers near us. Like someone else mentioned; they have curly kale with huge leaves at a third of the price of the bags in the Supermarket. They have coriander, flat leaf parsley, curly leaf parsley and everything else you would expect. It's great. :D x

bf is trying the greengrocers near us tomorrow. i'm giving him a list to see what they actually have there! :D so hopefully i can start getting some things from there instead! :D

someone on the piggy forum just posted this -

Nitrogen is an inert gas that is in the air and will do you no harm it already makes up about 80% of air, and there is residual chlorine in tap water so unless you wash in spring water you won't remove much!

Another case of people thinking chemicals are "dangerous" when they come in contact with them constantly!!

I have thought about buying the special bags and may give them ago now i have heard they actually work

also, people say those green veg bags you can get from places like betterware work really well and will keep the veg good for upto a week so might try them. :)

Yup, they put gas in pretty much anything we get in a packet. From meat to salad, to pasta and peanuts. Even in some drinks. It doesn't do us any harm, it's usually a mix of Nitrogen/CO2 and/or Oxygen depending upon what the product is - beef for example is just preserved with Oxygen to make it nice and red (I work for a gases company )

I usually go by eye with pre-packed veggies, rather than stick rigidly to the best before dates. I alway check to see if the veggies are wilted/dried out/looking a bit worse for wear and if they are they go in the bin. Admittedley, they don't tend to last as long as the full, fresh veggies, but they are very convenient and I like the choice they offer too

:wave:

Could you try sprouting your own cress?
Its more cost effective & environmentally friendly too :)

Could you try sprouting your own cress?
Its more cost effective & environmentally friendly too :)

i am planning to grow my own herbs etc in the spring when the garden is sorted out. hope it will work.

no room inside at the minute! worlds smallest kitchen and the window sill already has the herbs on now. :)

There's a fantastic one up the road from me, you can also go to the vege stall on the market near me and they happily give away leftovers /outer leaves and stuff for the bunnies! :D

I tend to think that I shouldn't give the rabbits wilting salad, but in the garden they eat brown leaves, often in preference to green ones. I presume this means that they are ok with veg/salad that is past it's best.

The packaging that is somewhat like a pillow is called "gas flushed" or "modified atmosphere". It is nitrogen used to replace the oxygen contained in air. Oxygen is needed by aerobic bacteria to live, replacing with nitrogen deprives them of that oxygen. It is perfectly safe as it is present in the air we breathe.

Sometimes small sachets labelled 'ageless' are included in fresh packaged foods. The crystals in the sachet convert oxygen to nitrogen.

Back