• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I bring him in?

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Max has been thumping on and off for the past half our. I've been out and there is nothing wrong. I tried to pick him up and he spooked.....I am severely bruised and scratched. Should I get him in....even if he doesn't like it, or should I leave him in the hutch and "ignore" it for a bit longer? He's in no danger and has lots of Kimberly hay to snuggle in......

...what to do?!:?

mmmmmmmmmm he may of smelt a fox, frosty used to thump for hours if there was a fox around,

mmmmmmmmmm he may of smelt a fox, frosty used to thump for hours if there was a fox around,

Cat, yes, Fox, no...I don't think so. I have no knowledge of foxes in the area. There ARE lots of cats though.

....Maybe it was a horse...:lol::lol::lol:

He is safe in the hutch. Nothing's getting into that!!

My outdoor lot thump if they have smelt a cat or fox, especially if they saw one, would last for ages, was always a pain if mum had some chicken in the binbags outside as the neighbour hood cat would linger and get it out and the buns would be thumping for hours....

Prob best not to bring him in otherwise he might learn that thumping means he gets to come in? Plus I dont think bringing outdoor buns into the warm when theyre out in the cold is good for them... I never brought my buns in when they thumped, just keep and eye out in case there is a fox on the prowl.

xxx

My outdoor lot thump if they have smelt a cat or fox, especially if they saw one, would last for ages, was always a pain if mum had some chicken in the binbags outside as the neighbour hood cat would linger and get it out and the buns would be thumping for hours....

Prob best not to bring him in otherwise he might learn that thumping means he gets to come in? Plus I dont think bringing outdoor buns into the warm when theyre out in the cold is good for them... I never brought my buns in when they thumped, just keep and eye out in case there is a fox on the prowl.

xxx

True...the temperature thing. I don't want him to be scared though. I might put him in the shed instead....?! I'm also worried about the next door neighbours complaining...:shock:

How long was he in the Adoption Centre ? (Which I assume was indoors)
If it was for more than a day or so he may well be too cold being put outdoors again now.

Lol, sod your neighbours! Thumping is nowhere near as annoying as a howling dog or anything like that, why dont you wait till morning and then move the hutch into the shed.... you dont want to be doing anything in the dark, he'll have to cope. Ive never had a complaint about buns thumping... even when we had several thumping at the same time (cats raiding the bins... err)

As long as he is covered and the hutch is secure, I am sure all will be fine :D

I would`nt worry too much,he should be ok in his hutch.:D

I accidently shut the garage up last night with a neighbours cat in there with the bunnies and had no noise from any of them.:oops:
Only found out this morning when they were all looking at me as I went in.:oops:

And I had cat poo to clear up.:lol:

How long was he in the Adoption Centre ? (Which I assume was indoors)
If it was for more than a day or so he may well be too cold being put outdoors again now.

I'm not sure. Not more than a week. It's quite mild outside. I was just outside with just a cardi, and wasn't too cold. He's been outside most of today, and last night I kept him in the kitchen, which I don't have the heating on in.

In or out? I can do either happily.

Isnt it a bit cold for him outside? It would of been warm in pets @home wouldnt it?

They had fans in his "Glass box". To "keep the temperature as close to outside as they could"....funny...they didn't in the baby bunnies pens!

Lol, sod your neighbours! Thumping is nowhere near as annoying as a howling dog or anything like that, why dont you wait till morning and then move the hutch into the shed.... you dont want to be doing anything in the dark, he'll have to cope. Ive never had a complaint about buns thumping... even when we had several thumping at the same time (cats raiding the bins... err)

As long as he is covered and the hutch is secure, I am sure all will be fine :D

:lol::lol::lol:....the hutch is 7ft long!! The shed is 5ft long...:lol:

Personally I would not put him outdoors overnight til late Spring next year if he was in a centrally heated P@H for a week

Personally I would not put him outdoors overnight til late Spring next year if he was in a centrally heated P@H for a week

Ok, I'll bring him in.

Do you have any pointers about his hocks Jane? I've never had a Rex before and worry about them!

awwww thats why then you kicked him out, was he used to company i cant remember now soz ?

if hes out on his own i know id feel a bit :shock:

if there is no way you can bring him in yet i would put him in the shed with some toys, i would say cuddly toy but you cant monitor if hes going to rip it apart, i only risked it with doc as i watched him with a toy during the days

also teflon is right you keep going out he will keep thumping i learnt te hard way on that :roll:

awwww thats why then you kicked him out, was he used to company i cant remember now soz ?

if hes out on his own i know id feel a bit :shock:

if there is no way you can bring him in yet i would put him in the shed with some toys, i would say cuddly toy but you cant monitor if hes going to rip it apart, i only risked it with doc as i watched him with a toy during the days

also teflon is right you keep going out he will keep thumping i learnt te hard way on that :roll:

He was all alone. In the adoption section. Has spent his life in a 3ft hutch and was "given away" when he fathered two litters....they also had mum and two teenie babies there.

Maybe he's agoraphobic and the hutch is scaring him! :roll::lol:

Back