• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you bring bunnies in on really cold nights?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Its that time of year again when I go into panic mode about the bunnies living outside :roll:

There was a little paragraph at the back of the Daily Record today, something to do with PDSA, saying if it gets really cold bring the rabbits indoors!

My bunnies have always lived outside and always been fine, obviously we give them extra straw and blankets/fleeces at this time of year and they do get into the house for a couple of hours after dinner but I still worry.

If it did get really cold one night can you bring them indoors?

I dont even know why Im asking as I know its unfair to bring them into a cosy house all night and then put them back outside in the morning.

What you are doing is spot on.

Bunnies grow lovely thick coats to keep them warm. Bringing them into hot houses and then out in the cold is a no no. A bit like the old saying abou taking your coat off as you wont feel the benefit.

As long as they have lots of extra hay and are sheltered they will be fine. There are a few bits you can do - snugglesafes, silver bubblewrap on the hutch and bottle covers etc:)

I was always told not to be taking them in and out as the temp difference is really stressful for them and can do more harm than good.

To be honest I think they'll be fine, rabbits are designed to live outdoors and while I appreciate that domestic bunnies are softer than wildies, if they have something "burrow like" to snuggle right down into they should be ok - I'm thinking a box/tunnel stuffed with straw.

Hi :wave:

Thanks for the replies.

I defo want change the set up.

Both of their bedrooms area has lots of straw it, they obviuosly do go ina t some point as when I peek in the straw is always flattend but I they 2 and half years I've had them I 've never saw the seep in it, I think I'd feel better knowing they did.

If there was a freak weather storm and temperatures were going way below zero, like -10 then I would bring them in temporarily. But generally no, leave them outside but make their hutch as snuggly and wind / water proof as possible :)

Back