• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

lauraocal

Warren Scout
I worry that my bunny doesn't eat enough and probably give her too many pellets.
I'm wanting to cut this right back.
I get her excel super forage and excel herbage and am curious if I could cut her pellets right back to the egg cup full and be safe that she is getting enough from her hay?
She is a house bunny and has a big tray that she uses for the toilet and thats where I put all her hay each day.. obviously I clean the tray daily.
So would I be safe to do this?
I hate to think of her being hungry :(

The only way to know is to test it and see. If she has no dental problems then yes, she should start to eat more hay through default. You could also try different types of hay, like the taster pack from the Hay Experts.

If you cut the food back then gradually cut it down to the amount you want and see how she goes. Carefully monitor her poo, size and shape and see how it goes.

yeah I had one of those tester packs before but she loves the excel ones best.. she eats plenty of hay already but she gets through maybe 3 egg cupfulls of pellets and is only a small 2.1kg lionhead.
My main reason for doing this is she has a dirty bum once a week and being a lionhead im having to cut her fur all the time.
I read that too many pellets can cause this?

I am pretty new to bunny keeping, but I'm sure if you cut the pellets back gradually they will be fine. I fed ours limitless pellets initially - as per the instructions on the bag for their age - but they will, understandably, choose pellets over hay almost every time. Just like I will choose a bun over a slice of bread, if left to my own devices.

If you make sure they have lots of hay available they will eat it when they get hungry enough. I hide a few pellets in the hay, which helps.

I thinnk we are brain-washed a bit into thinking that pellets are their staple food - when really hay should be, and pellets are like the tasty diet supplement. Ours get a handful between them twice a day, plus a bit of veg or a few chopped up salad leaves a day, then dandelions maybe once or twice a week.

I wish I could find a food that they really, really love though. Most food they are not that bothered about, but yet they dive on the pellets. They probably have something slightly addictive in them.

I know what you mean with the pellets.. mine loves them.
I have been trying to wean her off her current ones in favour of some excel ones.. she currently has that mixed feed wagg bunny brunch.
See even when i mix them both she eats all but the good excel ones.

I just want her to last a week without a dirty bum :(

Carry on and persevere with the transition of the pellets so she is onto better pellets and then cut them right down. That is a lot of pellets to feed for a bunny of that weight/size. My 2kg girlie gets probably just under an eggcup full every day, and the rest hay (she gets fresh only as a treat, and only leafy greens).

She is a house bunny and has a big tray that she uses for the toilet and thats where I put all her hay each day.. obviously I clean the tray daily.

Mine are also house rabbits. I put a small pile of hay in their litter tray but I also have a separate tray that only has hay in it, so there is always some clean hay for them. They have learned not to use that as a litter tray, they know it's just eating.

Back