• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many bunnies can I fit in here?? ... includes terrible diagram! :D

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Hi everyone!

I've been looking around the site and I'm a bit worried now that some of my buns need more space. I have 6 buns in total, all in male/female pairs. My conti, Thistle, and his smaller friend Jess live in my shed so they have plenty of room. My other two pairs (all regular size buns!), Pharrell & Daphne and Barley & Marge are in two story hutches. I've seen many RU members say that these hutches aren't suitable :( I bought them from pets at home, they had RWA approved stamps on so I always thought they'd be good homes for my bunnies. I think they were called Thistle Hall hutches or something like that (I remember thinking they had the same name as one of my buns and I doubt it was Pharrell Hall! :lol: ). I also have a 6ftX4ft run that my two hutch pairs take turns in during better weather.

After finding out these hutches were a bit frowned upon, I've started wondering if I could try to bond one of my other pairs to Thistle and Jess and have them all in the shed. The other pair can then have a hutch and I'll get dads tools out and try to permanently fix the run to it too.

Here's a truly terrible diagram....

And a link to a picture of my shed so you can get an idea of size - http://www.enhancagarden.com/ffgard...79294End;saplb_*=(ffsapcrp4002_CRP_00)3063050

They live in the right side of the shed. The box on the right side of the right side of the diagram (bear with me, this could get confusing!) is a small bird avairy. The little box at the top is a teeny avairy/bird cage for my kakarikis but they're going to live with my neighbours in their big outdoor avairy so that will be removed soon to make a bit more room for bunnies. The storage shelves are pretty big but the bottom shelf has nothing on it so Thistle and Jess can sit on it. They also go under it quite a bit.

Now, my maths skills aren't great so I'm at a loss about how much square foot of space they'd have, but do you guys reckon it will be enough for four bunnies?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry, I've just realised I I meant to say 'the box on the left hand side of the right side' !!! Ahahahah! How confusing! Anyway, that's my little avairy. I did kind of think I could maybe put some kind of cat flap in the side so they could go in there too if they wanted. I'm not sure the birds would be too keen though! :lol:

The hutches are fine as hutches but really need to be joined to a run or to have daily exercise in a run. It's a bit tricky in bad weather and when you've got two pairs sharing.

Your shed looks very cool so that sounds like a great solution and would be good for you in winter so you can go inside and interact with them without getting soaked in the rain :lol:

In terms of floor area it looks like about:

100ft (10ft x 10ft space)
- 24ft (8ft x 3ft bird aviary)
- 8ft (4ftx4ft triangle cut off)
= 68ft square ft

That's more than two 6x4 sheds so definitely room for 4 bunnies :D To be honest you might get away with all 6 even. You could try the bonding and if it works (and your garden layout is practical) you could have a cat flap to the run to give them the extra bit of space and outside access.

Yes it looks big enough for 4 bunnies but I think they might like something to shelter in, for example once the small aviary is gone could you remove some of the lower shelves and place one of the thistle halls in there?

ps I love the drawings :lol:

If the 8'x3' aviary a sectioned off bit or a seperate aviary. If it's not full height you could put it on a bench and give the rabbits the underneath area too.

I'm sorry, I'm confused :oops:

Explain the bit they live in again!

Sorry, I knew I'd explained that really badly! :lol: Here's a slightly more understandable version of my diagram!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Tamsin, the avairy is full height and screwed to the floor so I can't move it, although I did wonder about putting a catflap through into it so the buns could have the extra floor space. Not too sure the birds would be too pleased though!! :lol: And I think I'll stick to just four in the shed, Marge and Barley get on fine with each other but they're both very territorial and I know they'd cause fights. The other four are very laid back so fingers crossed I can bond them ok!

Timb0h, I'd love to put one of the hutches in for them but I'm not sure it would fit in the gap! Thistle and Jess currently have one of those little wooden houses that go in the runs normally and a few cardboard boxes dotted about. I have a small hutch (the ones from pets at home that are only £50) that I had a pair of quails in, that will probably fit. And I'm glad you like my drawing! It took me ages ;) LOL!

As long as there in some form of cover (cardboard boxes etc.) then they don't need a hutch if there isn't room.

Good luck with the bonding :D

I have nothing useful to add..... I just really love the pictures of the bunny and the pigeon lol :thumb: xx

I didn't understand a single word of any of that but :lol: love the drawings :lol::lol:

Aahahaha! I don't think I understood I single word of what I said either! :roll: :lol:

And that rabbits front legs are crossed behind it's back.... obviously! ;) :lol::lol:

Sorry, I knew I'd explained that really badly! :lol: Here's a slightly more understandable version of my diagram!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Tamsin, the avairy is full height and screwed to the floor so I can't move it, although I did wonder about putting a catflap through into it so the buns could have the extra floor space. Not too sure the birds would be too pleased though!! :lol: And I think I'll stick to just four in the shed, Marge and Barley get on fine with each other but they're both very territorial and I know they'd cause fights. The other four are very laid back so fingers crossed I can bond them ok!

Timb0h, I'd love to put one of the hutches in for them but I'm not sure it would fit in the gap! Thistle and Jess currently have one of those little wooden houses that go in the runs normally and a few cardboard boxes dotted about. I have a small hutch (the ones from pets at home that are only £50) that I had a pair of quails in, that will probably fit. And I'm glad you like my drawing! It took me ages ;) LOL!

Is there any way you could build a second tier, have a look at thread Yay the Bungle Palace is finished on this housing section, I almost doubled the space by doing that, all the bunnies can live in the shed and share the garden and runs. I only have a small garden so building up was the only answer, good luck and let us see the pics when you finish

Hmmm, I dunno, it hadn't really occured to me to build upwards! :lol: I'm not sure I'd want to really though, the shed cost a lot of money and I don't really want to screw much more into it as I want it to last as long as possible! Plus my DIY skills are pretty poor and anything I put in would probably fall down again! :lol:

I think once the little aviary has gone, I'll have a move around, maybe move the storage shelves into the pigeon half and see what I can fit in the gap I make!

I'll post some piccys if I ever get it all done!

It looks good to me (if I understand it right).

Loving the pics, and expecting to see an exhibition in The National Gallery any day now ;) :lol:

Just wanted to add that I love the pics. I was so impressed I showed hubby as well. It's the fact that the diagram is so symmetrical then there's the animals. :D Brill. Can I print out the pigeon and rabbit hugging to pin on my board? It's so cute!
ps I think the space would be fine if you maybe put a wide shelf in or something for them to sit on. Good luck.

Just wanted to add that I love the pics. I was so impressed I showed hubby as well. It's the fact that the diagram is so symmetrical then there's the animals. :D Brill. Can I print out the pigeon and rabbit hugging to pin on my board? It's so cute!
ps I think the space would be fine if you maybe put a wide shelf in or something for them to sit on. Good luck.

Aaahahahahah! :lol::lol::lol: Yeah of course you can put it on your pin board! I shall be honoured! ;) It's one of my finest artworks don'tcha know. :lol:

Back