• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Honey, Bath Time?!

gizmobunny

Young Bun
Hi all, recently have changed bunnies food to Science Selctvie from Excel after hearing this casues messy bottoms which is what honey has had!

The chnage happend slowly over 3 weeks i think, she then stopped or at least there was very very little runny poop (not runny, the cecal i think, like raspberry!) anyway now she seems to have started again , its nothing like it used to be but have seen a few around, just caught her hoping away and she seems to have a big brown lump stuck to her :( .

My question, how can i safely bath her?! She a long haired Lop! I want her clean before her visit to the vets! Please bear in mind she is a Nightmare to get near, hates being touched .

Gizmo her Husbunny used to be like this , now he will let me pick him up and stroke him lots more which is fab but honey doesnt seem to follow suit we can barely pick her up! :(

Any advice is great, ive read differnet things but i dont have bunny shmpoo so will luke warm water be best?! Some say in the bath tub a very small layer, this sounded a bit cruel?!

Thanks!

Not related to the bathing but her diet so you don't need to bath her again. How many pellets is she getting daily? Has the types or amounts of veg changed recently?

I feed SS mature as one of mine gets the runs with anything but this so that may be an option if everything else in her diet is perfect.

I would suggest maybe trying wrapping her in a towel. If you have to bathe her then only bath the area that is messy, use luke warm water. I tend to steer away from baths if I can and prefer to trim and cut and groom the fur. Is that a possibility for you?

Is she over weight? How many pellets do you feed? What is the rest of her diet like?

Many thakns for the quick replies!

She has veg each morning Normally a bowl (between two of them) of small carrot broc brussles parsley. Not all in one! 2 or 3 of those.

Hay all day long they love it!

And 45g of Science Selective, it says feed 70 each i think but ppl said dont feed that much!

Um, we could attempt the towl idea, should i hold her lying back a little and just get the area of concern a little wet?! She will kick like crazy i bet !!! Have to try and hold her, Y cant she understand its for her own good loL!

Many thanks again, Is it safe to cut the fur ? Not much obviously and not too close!

I would take out the carrot from the diet. The greens are ok but the carrot is very sugary and can cause excess cecals.

There will be different ways to hold her depending on how she tolerates it. It would probably be easier with two people though, so one can hold, aqnd one can clip/wash.

Clipping the fur is fine, just use blunt scissors and be extremely careful. Then groom out (usinhg a metal comb or similar) the rest as appropriate.

I would try reducing the amount to an eggcup full of pellets each per day. Mine get a small handful between them scattered on the floor of their shed each morning amongst the hay so they have to work for it as well.

45g is rather a lot, it's worth a try.

Many thanks, we shall try the clipping and be very careful!

Really, the 45g is for two tho, i just worry they will be hungry! They always come running looking for food when we come out! Ill try cutting it down hope gizmo doesnt mind (he doesnt get poorly!! lol)

Thanks

I'm having the same problem with mine too.
I normally cut the fur away but she is doing it once a week at the moment.
I didnt realise It could be too many pellets.

They always come running looking for food when we come out!

Thanks

Buns will run at you for food even if you have fed them 2 seconds ago :lol:

Seriously - just to agree with advice above they will get loads of nutrition from their hay and veges and a small few pellets will be fine.

:)

Back