• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Just been in to the local store to get yet more Herby Harvest:roll: and they are asking customers if they would like to round up the amount spent to the nearest pound so that the extra money goes to their Adoption Scheme.

Good way of raising some money...whatever their 'Adoption Scheme need money for!

They give it to a rescue don't they - I'm sure it was the Blue Cross last year.

I'd quiz where the money is going before I handed it over - I'd rather I gave anything directly to a rescue themselves.

If PAH want to help rescues they should simply stop selling animals, and donate some of their profits rather than donate their customers donations:D

If PAH want to help rescues they should simply stop selling animals, and donate some of their profits rather than donate their customers donations:D

Exactly - to me the scheme is laughable while they're at the root of the problem!

I know PAH aren't well liked on this site but I really do think that in terms of pet store chains that sell animals, they're the best out there.

One lady on here had money donated for her Rat rescue. :D

Don't get me wrong, I wish NO animals were sold in any stores so that people would go to rescues instead. But rescues aren't advertised as much or aren't as easily accessible as many pet stores. Maybe one day this will all change and places likes PAH will simply hold details of local rescues and direct them there instead. Let's hope so. I hate seeing the little creatures in their enclosures and wondering where they'll end up....but very often the staff do ask the questions and make the suggestions that they should.

p.s PAH let the charity I volunteer for have an 'adoption desk' every weekend in a prime location of the store. They're under no obligation to do that and it's not linked to their own adoption centre. I think that's really good.

Last edited:
Half of the time the 'rescue' rabbits in P@H are their own that haven't been sold :roll:

I suppose its better they put them in the "rehoming" section than put them down which some pet shops/breeders do o_O

Southampton Rabbit Rescue recently had a donation from this scheme...I just read about it on their website :D

Am I right in thinking the stores can select charities local to them to donate the money raised to?

Half of the time the 'rescue' rabbits in P@H are their own that haven't been sold :roll:

Not necessarily.

My Max was 9months old with 2 major injuries; the vet said they didn't look like injuries from another rabbit but that of a cat or dog. Jemimah was dumped outside in a box , and Dougie a grey dwarf lop I was once hoping to rehome was brought in by a chav pair and dumped whilst I was in the store, so I know for a fact he wasn't their own.

I think alot of assumptions can be made and I do hate the negativity towards them. I think Pets at Home do a wonderful job, I do also wish they didn't sell animals, but they do and that's not going to change just yet. My local pets at home is fabulous and has a rescue section with posters for rescues at the back end of the store. When I've got bunnies from the adoption section; they also won't let the bunny go to just anybody, they do ask questions and they do advise and if they don't think someone will take care of or is good enough for the bunny, they won't let them have the bun, it's as simple as that.

In comparison to other pet stores, P@H are godly.:oops: It doesn't mean I'll support them selling animals, but it means I'll give them some credit for not ignoring the fact that rescues do exist, and not everybody that works there is money-driven.

This is my opinion.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

My max was 9months old with 2 major injuries; the vet said they didn't look liek injuries from another rabbit but that of a cat or dog. Jemimah was dumped outside in a box , and Dougie a grey dwarf lop I was once hoping to rehome was brought in by a chav pair and dumped whilst I was in the store, so I know for a fact he wasn;t their own.

I think alot of assumptions can be made and I do hate the negativity towards them. I think Pets at Home do a wonderful job, I do also wish they didn't sell animals, but they do and that's not going to change just yet. My local pets at home is fabulous and has a rescue section with posters for rescues at the back end of the store. When I've got bunnies from the adoption section; they also won't let the bunny go to just anybody, they do ask questions and they do advise and if they don't think someone will take care of or is good enough for the bunny, they won't let them have the bun, it's as simple as that.

In comparison to other pet stores, P@H are godly.:oops: It doesn't mean I'll support them selling animals, but it means I'll give them some credit for not ignoring the fact that rescues do exist, and not everybody that works there is money-driven.

This is my opinion.

This is very well articulated and I do tend to agree, its easy to jump on the 'I hate P@H' band waggon but judging from the horrific stories I have heard regarding the small independant traders I have to agree with you.

i prefer P@H to any other pet shop. They used to be horrid but have really cleaned up their act. They just need to educate the staff better and they'd be ok.

Still dont like the fact they sell animals obv lol.

I think it's a bit out of order asking that when people are paying, talk about putting the pressure on :roll:

I've only ever seen 2 or 3 animals in the adoption section near me that weren't P@H stock that's 'too old to sell'..... how are 10 week old rabbits too old!??

There is a pair of gorgeous bunnies in my p@h adoption centre! I was so tempted to bring them home the other day! Damn having a small house and no garden!

Back