• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week

Biscuit's Mum!

Warren Veteran
As a few of you have seen on another thread. I have suggested that something along the lines or a Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week take place.

I am thinking badges (with a cute bun and Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week on it, and something to the effect '100s of bunnies are deserted, mistreated and misunderstood in the UK every year: wouldn't you like to give one a second chance?'), facebook groups and working in conjunction with rescues.

I know there are a few who have pledged their support for the idea.

I am keen to hear people's ideas and thoughts (positive and negative).

I am not a born organiser, but I am a flipping hard worker! I also work at a firm, who I may try to tap for some kind of sponsorship.

The awareness week can include selling cakes etc. too, and fundraising if we are up to extending it that far, but it is just to encourage people to think of a rescue before they buy in the main, as so many people are unaware.

These are only ideas at the moment, and I don't want to get ahead of myself. Of course, it may still come to nothing, but support and ideas would be appreciated.

Laura xx

The whole idea is to promote it far and wide, so to get as many rabbit rescues as involved as possible, get the media involved, get places like vets and other charities involved, get pet shops (including online shops) involved too.

I've been thinking about this too.
People often want rabbits, but I don't think they know where to go to adopt one from a rescue, or don't even know that rescues exist.
Perhaps they even think buying one is better for whatever reasons.

I really like your idea, but I also think there should be focus on why adopting from a rescue is better and include things like the rabbit is neutered and properly sexed. Remember the thread where someone said in Pets at Home they can't guarantee the sex of their rabbits?

You have my support. :)

People often want rabbits, but I don't think they know where to go to adopt one from a rescue, or don't even know that rescues exist.

I really like your idea, but I also think there should be focus on why adopting from a rescue is better and include things like the rabbit is neutered and properly sexed. Remember the thread where someone said in Pets at Home they can't guarantee the sex of their rabbits?

That's a brilliant point, thank you. Yes, you get a guaranteed sex, and the cost of neutering thrown in with a rescue.

I do think this is an important point,but not all rescues do spay/neuter, not all vaccinate, not all provide support, bonding, etc, so it would have to be carefully done and carefully worded. But yes, the why you shoulf go to a rescue is very important.

I do think this is an important point,but not all rescues do spay/neuter, not all vaccinate, not all provide support, bonding, etc, so it would have to be carefully done and carefully worded. But yes, the why you shoulf go to a rescue is very important.

Then how about the inbreeding and ill health of pet shop buns? Sill I realise this is not also a given, but it seems to be usual practice. :?

You have my support, if i can help in anyway, just let me know :wave: Not sure what i'm good at but i'll help if i can :D

Could this include an element of explaining why rabbits deserve compassion as much as other animals?

A lot of people I talk to support cat and dog rescues but aren't fussed about rabbits as they don't see them as intelligent, or capable of emotional suffering. Maybe some emphasis on how much personality they have could help address that.

Oh and I will theoretically help if there's anything I can do, I don't really have any useful skills though. :?

Then how about the inbreeding and ill health of pet shop buns? Sill I realise this is not also a given, but it seems to be usual practice. :?

I'd think that the areas to focus on would be hormones and how you know what you are getting (in terms of health and temperment), generally they are spayed and neutered as well as vaccinated, generally they won't be living alone and will have a friend unless there is a specific reason not to, generally you will get accurate and uptodate information and advice on rabbit care (such as accommodation).

Also, anyone getting from a rescue is getting from a place where you know the owner is doing what is best for the rabbits at any given time, NOT, what is best for business. (I'm sure there must be a slogan in there somewhere).

OK, we all want to do this property instead of quickly so probably talking about a week in February, to give us some good planning time.

I will start doing some research. I only really know a couple of Rescues, but we could do with the support of as many as possible.

OK, we all want to do this property instead of quickly so probably talking about a week in February, to give us some good planning time.

Definitely! If we want this to be a widespread campaign, probably longer than that to give plenty of time for arrangements etc. I've worked on campaigns for environmental groups in the past, but usually with several months lead in time.

I would think that deciding on a clear message and plan/approach first, and then putting it to rescues for feedback would be useful, before finalising ideas. Then time to rope in as many people / organisations to take part as possible.

Maybe set-up a discussion group on msn with people who want to be involved to thrash out ideas and make some decisions?

Ooo, I don't have MSN! Can we do it on here?!

Yes, maybe we should be aiming more for March/April. In fact, why not tie it in not too far away from Easter?

Ooo, I don't have MSN! Can we do it on here?!

Yes, maybe we should be aiming more for March/April. In fact, why not tie it in not too far away from Easter?

Here sounds just as good!

I was thinking Easter too, but obviously not wanting to confuse the message of the MMC campaign, either join that or do something to run afterwards?

Here sounds just as good!

I was thinking Easter too, but obviously not wanting to confuse the message of the MMC campaign, either join that or do something to run afterwards?

Yes, you are right. Afterwards maybe better as I don't want our message to get lost, or to 'steal their thunder!'

June is as good a month as any!

So, we need all of the Rescues in (or as many as possible);
I will contact local 'pet farms' and zoos closer to the time. I will aim to get some sponsorship from supporting places to make up the badges and maybe leaflets?
Then the local papers and local TV news, radio etc.

That's funny, I was thinking June :lol: Then I thought that's in time for summer but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I also thought that posters and leaflets might be a good thing to do.

Anothet thought was that this is more about rabbit rescues than specifically rabbits (that sounds stupid), and its important not to try and cover too much because then the original message might get lost.

I also thought that maybe we might want to involve somewhere like the US, I belong to a US based forum and sound them out if anyone likes.

I think it might be worth getting say a group of 5 or 6 together to speadhead the campaign, and then from there involve as many people as possible. Biscuit's Mum should choose who she wants on her campaign, I reckon.

By the way, I was sitting in the bath mulling it over :lol: hence the outpouring of thoughts.

We need to be as organised as possible to ensure nothing gets missed.

Back