• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi first time posting - new bunny lover

Hi all, this is my first post but in need of some advice please (posting about it in care discussion section).

First just need to explain why im here...
Quite some time ago we as a family took on the care of a rabbit (a lop named lilo) that my kids grandmother had had living out her back yard. I will be honest it wasnt getting much attention down there stuck out in the yard and only seeing anyone when the kids went visiting. When she seemed to take a turn for the worse I made excuses to bring her to the house (the lilo that is not the grandmother lol)... anyway she got better and once we knew she was out we moved her to outside cage just outside our back door thinking outdoors was where she should be (this was before I knew anything about house bunnies).
We had her for about 2 years then she seemed to start acting oddly, off her food and not being herself, so we brought her back in doors it was at this point that I started to find out a bit more about house bunnies... After a few trips to the vet and some meds (wow dont those cost mount up real fast!) she see seemed ok however the vet still seemed concerned as couldnt tell me what the problem was.
She seemed ok and while she was indoors (indoor cage but run of the house) we really got to know her better and see her personality come out, the little things like her floops and funny sleeping positions her beeing so nosy and where ever she was if she heard the fridge open she would dart out and stomp on your toes and pull your laces for a treat.
Unfortunately this only lasted a for a few months as one morning again she seemed off her food and not doing her usuall things, then while in the other room I heard what I thought was her running about wildy I ran to her and she was streched out and rolling over and over into things eyes bulging like they would pop and her heart pounding out of her chest... I was scared for her thinking it must be some form of fit seizure I was straight onto vet who wanted her asap. She had a number of attacks like this just out of the blue each seeming to last an age, thankfully I had time to explain to my son (who had become ver very close to lilo) that there was a chance that we may have to do whats best for her... a chat with vet who given the past few fisits came to the same conclusion :(
I had a lump in my throat so large I couldnt say the words and I dont care what ppl say I almost cried seeing her being put to sleep, there was no way I could have left her and the vet to it. I just sat near her as she lay on the table and talked and stroked her till she passed. We brought her home and burried her in the yard, this was done partly for my son as he could see her and say goodbye.

She was at lest 6 years old and not *fixed* (yes I know how bad that is for her now).

I have to be honest I do feel guilty... not knowing enough about house rabbits and not having more time with her as a house rabbit, her last few months with her indoors were great. But I can say that through her I started my quest on house bunnies. I have learnt so much about rabbits so much reading and so many websites (not to mention funny vid clips) and this is all down to our lovely lilo.

The following weeks were weird as part of our routine would be chatting to that daft rabbit ans seeing here running about, I even cought myself almost chatting to her in the morning!.. Its crazy how that ball of fluff had an impact on us all.
After 2 months had passed + lot of reading and setup, we as a family decided that we would get a new house bunny (it felt to wierd without one). A new baby bunny was on the cards but following a trip to of all places PetSmart while we were looking for a feed supplier we spotted a bonded pair of older bunnies (both lops) now called Nibbles and Cuddles.

After a bit of a chat with kids and wife we decided that we could offer them a nicer home than that pet store and our family has now grown by 2 members.

So thats why Im now hooked on bunnies and why Ive signed to website so that I can get advice/help where needed.

:wave: Welcome to RU!!

What a lovely story, you should be so proud of rescuing Lilo and making her last few months with you happy ones. Such a shame she had difficulties, Binky Free Lilo xx
Congrats on your new additions, you'll have to post photo's as we all love a good photo here on RU :lol:

Hope you find this site useful and I'm sure you will soon have loads of new bunny friends xx

Hi all, this is my first post but in need of some advice please (posting about it in care discussion section).

First just need to explain why im here...
Quite some time ago we as a family took on the care of a rabbit (a lop named lilo) that my kids grandmother had had living out her back yard. I will be honest it wasnt getting much attention down there stuck out in the yard and only seeing anyone when the kids went visiting. When she seemed to take a turn for the worse I made excuses to bring her to the house (the lilo that is not the grandmother lol)... anyway she got better and once we knew she was out we moved her to outside cage just outside our back door thinking outdoors was where she should be (this was before I knew anything about house bunnies).
We had her for about 2 years then she seemed to start acting oddly, off her food and not being herself, so we brought her back in doors it was at this point that I started to find out a bit more about house bunnies... After a few trips to the vet and some meds (wow dont those cost mount up real fast!) she see seemed ok however the vet still seemed concerned as couldnt tell me what the problem was.
She seemed ok and while she was indoors (indoor cage but run of the house) we really got to know her better and see her personality come out, the little things like her floops and funny sleeping positions her beeing so nosy and where ever she was if she heard the fridge open she would dart out and stomp on your toes and pull your laces for a treat.
Unfortunately this only lasted a for a few months as one morning again she seemed off her food and not doing her usuall things, then while in the other room I heard what I thought was her running about wildy I ran to her and she was streched out and rolling over and over into things eyes bulging like they would pop and her heart pounding out of her chest... I was scared for her thinking it must be some form of fit seizure I was straight onto vet who wanted her asap. She had a number of attacks like this just out of the blue each seeming to last an age, thankfully I had time to explain to my son (who had become ver very close to lilo) that there was a chance that we may have to do whats best for her... a chat with vet who given the past few fisits came to the same conclusion :(
I had a lump in my throat so large I couldnt say the words and I dont care what ppl say I almost cried seeing her being put to sleep, there was no way I could have left her and the vet to it. I just sat near her as she lay on the table and talked and stroked her till she passed. We brought her home and burried her in the yard, this was done partly for my son as he could see her and say goodbye.

She was at lest 6 years old and not *fixed* (yes I know how bad that is for her now).

I have to be honest I do feel guilty... not knowing enough about house rabbits and not having more time with her as a house rabbit, her last few months with her indoors were great. But I can say that through her I started my quest on house bunnies. I have learnt so much about rabbits so much reading and so many websites (not to mention funny vid clips) and this is all down to our lovely lilo.

The following weeks were weird as part of our routine would be chatting to that daft rabbit ans seeing here running about, I even cought myself almost chatting to her in the morning!.. Its crazy how that ball of fluff had an impact on us all.
After 2 months had passed + lot of reading and setup, we as a family decided that we would get a new house bunny (it felt to wierd without one). A new baby bunny was on the cards but following a trip to of all places PetSmart while we were looking for a feed supplier we spotted a bonded pair of older bunnies (both lops) now called Nibbles and Cuddles.

After a bit of a chat with kids and wife we decided that we could offer them a nicer home than that pet store and our family has now grown by 2 members.

So thats why Im now hooked on bunnies and why Ive signed to website so that I can get advice/help where needed.

I'm very sorry about Lilo, sounds like you and your family made her last few months so warm and friendly though. She really got to be herself and a happy crazy bunny :)

Happy to hear you have got a new pair. Bunny owning is a real learning experience, but you have done the right thing coming to this forum, we love talking all things bunny.

The only mistake that I really think you have made is not to post us a picture of your buns ;) It's a must for all New Kits I am afraid :love:

It is sad in a way that so many of us are drawn to this site following the death of one of our special little bunny friends. Do stick around, you will learn so much. I have had house rabbits for the last 18 years and thought I knew quite a bit about them, but I have probably doubled my knowledge in the past month just by reading the posts on this great site.:wave:

Hello :wave:

It's great that you are wanting to learn more, it will also help you get more out of your relationship with your buns. Which as other people have already said - we need pics of! :)

It's good to have another bloke joining as well.

Hello & welcome :wave::wave:

Look forward to seeing pics of Nibbles and Cuddles (and Lilo as well if you have them) :D

Back