• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with a matted bum...

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Earl has no teeth and i think because of this, he has matts around his privates and under his tail. A little of this seems to be tiny bits of dried poo which i think are caeceotrphs that he cant quite get with no teeth. His poos are noraml and he dont have a sticky bum so im not worried about his diet.

The matts are like hard lumps of fur, only problem is in order to remove them we have to trance him and cut them out. As soon as he is down he eats treats and hops back over to us for cuddles. At the time he is frightened but afterwards seems his self.

I hate doing this and wonder if bathing will help. The matts are still there and i cant get them all in case i cut him. I know the vet will only do the same as what i am doing.

If there anything else i can try? maybe olive oil or some type of oil to help them slide out. eek. Only about 30percent of the matts are poo related, the rest are 50p sized lumps in his undercoat.

please help, how do i get rod of them. shall i just leave them?

Jemma

could try a slicker brush but the one with the points with the bobbles on the end so it doesnt scratch his skin Mikki do a very good one i would recomend oiling or wetting as it usually makes more mats

Yep, I agree water and knots aren't usually a good mix. Is he a house bun? If he knots that much I'd trim the whole area short. It's probably easier than trying to trim out individual mats and will need doing less often.

thanks, i rang the vets they said they will shave them out. he is a house bun yeah... because the matts are underneath i cant reach them with a slicker brush. but i do have one

Back