• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Just a quick question really, just been reading some posts and a lot of you seem to worm your bunnies?
How important is this as when we have been to the vet and asked them about it they have said that it is not nessesaray due to Jims being an only house bun.

Hi
Both of my bunnies are wormed on my vet's advice. Not too sure if there is a difference though because mine are outside, well in the outdoor utility now. They recommend to do it between two and four times a year.

Is it a treatment that the vets can do? or does it have to be done at home? Jimby is virtually impossible to handle even though he is a lovely little fully man.
We are going to the vets next week so maybe I should enquire again?
Also are there any side effects to the treatment?

Last edited:
I don't see why indoor rabbits shouldn't be wormed, as the main disease that worming prevents is E.C. which is most often passed from mother to child, so whether they are indoor or out doesn't really matter.

You can do it yourself by buying a product called Panacur for rabbits. It's a paste that comes in a dispenser and you squeeze the paste into the side of the rabbits mouth. For prevention you normally do a 9 day course of this a few times a year.

My vet also advised me I did not need to worm my rabbits. However I have done a one off course of 28 days as a preventative against EC as per recent guidelines from the RWA. I understand 9 days is not long enough for EC.

EC is passed in urine from the mother rabbit to her offspring, so all rabbits should be wormed as a precaution, regardless of wether they live indoors or out.
Panacur paste can be purchased cheaply from www.wormers.co.uk and is relatively easy to do.
I worm mine every 6 months

Mine are house buns and I worm them. I get my Panacur off Ebay for about £5.

My buns like it - I put the dose (its like a cream paste) in the middle of a spinach leaf, roll the leaf up and they scoff the lot.

Mine are house buns and I worm them. I get my Panacur off Ebay for about £5.

My buns like it - I put the dose (its like a cream paste) in the middle of a spinach leaf, roll the leaf up and they scoff the lot.

Brilliant! Thanks so much, I've been putting off worming them with Panacur (and had thought of trying something else), because I just couldn't see them accepting a syringe.

Back