• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So what made you choose your rabbit ?

seagreen

Warren Scout
Toby was from a rescue. I picked him because he hopped across to say hello, accepted a nose rub & then kissed my nose & that was it, I was smitten.

My Oh chose Sooty as a family friends buns had had babies and she was at deaths door - so we took her in at 4 weeks :love:

Oreo was from P@H :oops: (before i knew RU or rescues existed) but I dont regret it as he was sat in the corner of his pen all alone with the fan blowing on him looking very miserable... the staff were merrily telling the customers that they were getting 8 more cute babies soon so not to bother with my little man :evil: - so i had a cuddle and bought him there and then - only went in for hay - and will never set foot in another P@h for that reason!!

Love my 2 :love:

Sorrel chose me...I in her pen and she just came up to me so happily like she'd been waiting for me all her life.

All the others were just in the right place at the right time. Although with Apache and Briony, Angie wrote such glowing descriptions of them that I knew I had to have them :love:

Lots of different reasons for each of them!!!

They all just "spoke" to me and "told me" they wanted to come home with me!!!

:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:
Our cat brought in our first bun, Bungle to kill and we rescued him. we then heard about Emily and Muffin who were being fostered by two different ladies. We got our 3 babies from p@H we felt really sorry for them as they were really huddled together and we couldnt bear for them to be separated

My first bunny, Coco I got because she was left at the pet store I worked at and I was the only one she didn't attack, so she came home with me:lol: She was a really special girl and calmed right down into a snugglebun after she was spayed:roll::) Smokey, we bought:oops:because Coco needed a friend and that was before I even knew rescues existed. Her fur is amazing and she has the sweetest personality. Brown rabbit came to live with us because he was another left at the store because he was "disgusting":roll:
The only people interested in adopting him wanted to put him in a 55 gal aquarium:shock: So, he came home with me too:) Baloo is my healer:love: When Coco passed last year I did not cope well at all. I would look at rabbits on RR and one day I saw Baloo. He looked so pitiful in his photo and I knew that we needed eachother:love: Honestly, I do not know what I would have done without his silly antics and bunny love dragging me out of the depths of despair. He is my savior.:love: When I tried to bond him with my others, Brownie bit him, and I couldn't handle it:oops: I know....so we bought Crystal. My daughter has always had her heart set on a BEW Lop, so I gave in. It didn't help that she was just so darned cute either. I am weak in the face of cuteness.:)
Well, that's a book:lol:

We have 14 and all are rescue, some we chose as they had special needs or dental problems and knew they would be difficult to rehome and we have some that have come from our vet's that needed homes as they had been dumped or unwanted.

Because I wasn't sure what would happen to him if I didn't take him I figured that he has suffered enough in his life even though he was apparently only a year old. Roly was in an absolute state when I first laid eyes on him and I couldn't bare to think of him ending up somewhere else that was as bad as his previous home. In the week before I got him he was kept in a guinea pig cage with wood shaving. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but still loads better than where he'd been originally.

DSC01188.jpg

I had never kept rabbits before and knew next to nothing about them but I knew I could give him a good life which would be a million times better than the one he led before.

Honey we got from The Fife Rabbit Rescue as we wanted Roly to have a wee friend. I loved her sad wee face when I seen her photo on the website. She had popped up before we were ready to take another rabbit on and was reserved within a few days. We resigned ourselves to the fact we wouldn't be getting Honey Bunny but a few weeks later she appeared as being available for adoption again. My parents were away on holiday at the time but had agreed to let me keep the rabbits at their house (they had previously lived with my aunt due to my dad being allergic to them). I remember ringing my mum and she was dead excited about getting Honey and was asking me for updates on the bonding.

I took Roly out to meet Honey on the 23rd July after getting him in April. It certainly wasn't love at first sight but both thankfully settled down and now get on fine.

Ste picked Alvin, i wanted a lionhead and ste didnt like them so i found a place in cannock with baby lops... i wanted the white splodgy one and ste wanted the black one.. bloke plonked him in my arms and he scratched my neck and in that second i loved him. didnt even give the white splodgy one a second glance.

Lou (doorkeeper) picked Pearl for Alvin. and any future buns if im allowed more from hopper haven will be chosen by them not me i reakon

I am ashamed to say it but I chose Dutchie for his stunning good looks and the fact that he matched the girls. Albert was all about the personality and fitting in with the others I love him to bits now but he wasnt my first choice

I had the full intention of getting my first bun from a rescue but i saw Amber in a garden center :oops: and I had to have her. I picked her out from her sisters as she was the one who stalked up to me to investigate:love:

Her husbun, Ollie was plonked into my arms at FF's open day and it was so nice to hold a cuddly bun rather than a squirming mass of furry monster, i reserved him there and then :love::lol:

I think with Barney it was a mix of looks (I've got a real weakness for Dutch rabbits!) and personality. The first time I set eyes on him he was dashing back and forth desperately trying to make the rabbits in the next pen look at him. He was all young and his fur was al shiney and sleek looking. :love:

I'd been looking for over a month or two for a friend for him when we came across Amber. She was at an RSPCA rehoming place, and as we walked in I saw an upright little bunny profile in the office door way, behind the counter. We agreed to look at the other bunnies whilst they caught her so we could look at her, but I'd already decided the moment I walked in.

Hazel's my stroppy love. :oops: Saw her on FreeAds, advertised as a pregnant doe suitable for breeding and she was SO close and I couldn't get her out of my head. I asked for help (and received it) on here, in getting her a rescue place... She stayed here one night before going and I fell head over heels for her. I only got permission to adopt her a few weeks later, and by then she'd had her little of one baby... Couldn't split her and her surviving daughter! :lol:

As for Edgar... I didn't even SEE him before feeling I wanted to know him much better. We went to an animal sanctuary open day, and he was in an outside run, but we found his empty hutch and realising he was not in it, I went out to find him to see which bunny was Ed... Freakishly, he was in the same pen my Barney had been! But he's got the most adorable little face. And he's a Dutch x, so I never stood a chance! :lol:

Hugo, my first, was from a pet shop. I was 14 and he was my first bun. I spent 6 months looking up information, and made a BOOK for my mum, on bunnies, what they needed, and everythign you could think of.
We called up the garden centre (Fordham, for those who are in Suffolk) and asked if they had any bunnies. She said that they had one bunny and he was a male chinchilla blue dwarf lop....:shock::shock::shock:....I fell in love with Hugo!! (He's now 5)

Ophelia came next, an orange mini lop doe. Hugo was 2 and a half. My bf (now ex) got me Ophelia for my birthday :roll: from a well known Cambridge garden centre. She died when she had her spay, as they regularly have cross breeds....Hugo was from a breeder selling to pet shops.

When Ophelia died Hugo was really upset. He stopped eating, didn't lie down and was thoroughly unhappy. In my pregnant state I went straight to a pet shop (in Bury St Edmunds) and got Rose. (Kept in tiny glass cages....same size as the baby hammies!) When I got her home, Hugo hopped up to this little ball of fluff and started licking her. They have such a strong bond.

Teddy.....Where to start....?! My beautiful boy was from a breeder. I fell in love with his dad and all his big brothers (on the journals.) K obviously loves her buns so very much so I reserved a baby as soon as I'd seen her website. When Ted was born I was ecstatic...and reserved him!! He is the best choice I've ever made. Ted is the most wonderful bunny I've ever met!!

Ruby is Teddy's niece. The ex OH and I were getting Ted a friend and when we broke up I decided to get her. She is beautiful....but REALLY naughty. Makes Ted look like an angel....which he is;)!!

Maximus was at the P@H adoption. I've never been in to P@H before, and never will again, as I couldn't stand the way the children were acting towards the buns/piggies and their parents didn't give a ****!! A five year old asked their daddy for the "fluffy bunny" so I got him!

Blue (will change name) is a Frenchie coming from Brinsley rescue. I was "looking" at Frenchies on RR and saw her...she's so pretty!! She has been in rescue for 6 months as everyone overlooked her. I showed my interest and Beth said that she would love Blue to come live with us...so in the next few weeks she'll be coming!!

.....sorry for the longness!!:oops::oops:

We got Jose from P@H (before i knew rabbit rescues existed :oops: ) I wanted a little grey one but the OH wanted the black one and seeing as i'd finally got him to agree to letting me have a rabbit - we got the black one. I should have known she was going to be a nightmare when it took the member of staff a while to pick her up - she's still a nightmare to catch now :roll: I wouldnt change her for the world tho, especially when she sits on my chest and licks my face :love: She loves her mommy and I love her too :love:

I decided that our next bun was going to be from a rescue so i started looking on RU and RR for possible candidates. I'd narrowed it down to about 9 and sat down with the OH to show them to him. 2nd in the pile was an adorable little harli boy who the OH said was "Funny looking" and told me to move onto the next rabbit :( I then told him that he had been in foster care for over a year cos for some reason noone wanted him :( and he said "Right we're having him!" He said he felt so sorry for him that we had to have him :love: His name was Rainbow and he was from RSPCA Walsall. Although he's a daddy boy, he's still my little fluffy bum and I love him to bits :love:

I think most of mine have chosen me, or ended up here due to fate. I didn't choose Roger, or Rosie. My 'originals' were mostly born here. I DID choose Badger, but really I think he chose me :D and I did choose Candyfloss from the RSPCA because she was a right pickle and a case (good job I did because she is one of those buns who would bounce back and back to the centre because she has behavioural problems).

I did choose Tilly and I did choose Baby because they were not getting the care they needed at the RSPCA and I knew that I could give them what they needed (or at least better care), so I chose them on that basis-that they needed me and I could help.

To be honest though, most of my rabbits seem to end up here because they seen destined to be here.

I saw Biscuit on the internet. Me and the OH had been talking about getting a bun for about 6 months and were pretty much there on the idea (we gave it a lot of thought!).

We were at the sending pics of cute buns stage, and I sent him Biscuit in an email with the heading 'I have to have her', I felt sad that she was no longer 'wanted'. I was actually part joking as she was an hour and a half away, and I thought he would not do it. He replied and said 'let's go and see her'. He called the lady.

The owner was a breeder :)shock:), and she had lots and lots of cute babies, which the OH thought were gorgeous, but I couldn't take my eyes off my beautiful Biscuit, she looked down out of her hutch and I knew it was love at first sight :love:

Badger (aka Thames) was Andy's choice. We saw a few online at Bobtails Rescue and I liked another one. I held two and thought I had made my mind up, but remembered that Andy had seen another he thought was sweet, but I wasn't that bothered about. I said we should go and hold him (just to be fair to Andy). He was gorgeous and he rubbed noses and sniffed around us, we loved his little personality. In a couple of weeks, we hope he will be coming home to us :)

My first bun Munchie came from Greenwich rescue. He was only 8-9 weeks and a mini rex, I fell in love with him :love: He was the most wonderful bun, always wanted fuss. At the same time I got 2 more mini rex buns from the free ads. As soon as I saw their photo I wanted them. I know people on here don't like the free ads but the buns needed a home and I didn't hand over any money for them.

Sadly Munchie died when he was around a year old, I still miss him :cry:
I still have Bully and Larmee, they are not cuddle buns but I love them.

I don't choose my rabbits... they just come to me.
Lopsie, my first was found beside a main road in Manchester.
Someone rang me asking if I would take Grim as they had to move house (which I still believe is lies).
And I was trying to adopt a toothless companion for Grim, but I just couldn't stop looking at Samus on RU. So technically I did choose Samus, but it was definitely meant to be. :D

My first ever bunny Rab (dorf lop) was already there before I was born!

Arthur was a grey dorf lop and we got him after he was found straying.I had Arthur whilst I was 5(he was my parents really)

Peter (english) we got from a pet shop in my local town, however he was 2 years old and nobody was interested in him, so I was given him for free.
I had Peter when I was 7.

Pepi I got from Pets at Home he died at 10weeks of age. All the bunnies who were kept together in Pets at Home at this time also died. They had a parasite in their stomachs, he was with us for 2 days, the other 10 were spent in the vets:cry: :cry:. I got Pepi when I was 16.

Lola I was given by Pets at Home for free because of what happened to Pepi.:( (I was 16)
Maximus I got from Pets at Home adoption centre, he has two huge open gashes in his side, which turned into abscesses :(. (I was 17)
Brian & Lenny I'll be honest we got thinking they were a mini Lola and Max.. Lenny was originally Norah, so that idea may have worked. But no bunny is the same!:love: (I was 19)
Jemimah we got from Pets at Home adoption centre, she was dumped in a box outside the store with no details. :cry: (I was 19) :wave:

Back