• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there a lack of awareness of Rescues?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
I only ask because a friend said this tonight "I don't think they're well publicised enough tbh because until I first met you I never knew there was such a thing."

What can we do to raise awareness that the rescues are actually here? Is there anything more we can do?

i think the sad reality is.. people dont really care about bunnies.. i can talk till im blue in the face about bunny rescues at work but they are an animal who dont interest people so no amount of publicity will make people give to a rabbit charity over a dog one for example.... i wish people could see bunnies through the eyes of people who adore them but i doubt itll ever happen tbh :cry::cry::cry:

i think the make mine a choclate campaign is a great idea but not one single person has made a comment about the badge i wear with pride :(

This makes me sad...

i think the make mine a choclate campaign is a great idea but not one single person has made a comment about the badge i wear with pride

I don't know anything about it... PLEASE tell me...

and as always... if there is anything I can do in terms of promotion for a rescue, i will.

Yes there is a lack of awareness imo. I wasn't aware of any rabbit rescues other than RSPCA before I found RU, I adopted two of my buns from Pets at Home adoption centre, and the only reason I found out about RSPCA was when I was getting Lara my puddy tat. I wish there was more awareness. :cry:

yup i agree - I was so naive and didnt realise bunny rescues existed either :(:( before joining RU

Yes there is a lack of awareness imo. I wasn't aware of any rabbit rescues other than RSPCA before I found RU

Same here :cry:

I read "Rabbit Health in the 21st Century" and it talks a lot about bonded bunnies and getting rescue rabbits but it's by an American author and when I tried searching the Net I chose badly and put things like 'rabbits for sale', not realising the difference between buy and adopt. So the only rabbit rescues I managed to find were in various American states, my local RSPCA had no bunnies, so I went to a pet shop.

When I lost Scrat I had a bit more luck with my searches and found Rabbit Rehome and then Rudy Roo :love: Then Tinkaboo :love:

I've got Rabbit Rehome car stickers, would love to spread the word as much as possible.

i think the sad reality is.. people dont really care about bunnies.. i can talk till im blue in the face about bunny rescues at work but they are an animal who dont interest people so no amount of publicity will make people give to a rabbit charity over a dog one for example.... i wish people could see bunnies through the eyes of people who adore them but i doubt itll ever happen tbh :cry::cry::cry:

i think the make mine a choclate campaign is a great idea but not one single person has made a comment about the badge i wear with pride :(

Aw, say it isnt so!!!! I really hope that this isnt entirely true, after all, until Bungle came into our lives we just didnt know. On the night that the cat brought him in, we spent hours on the net googling bunnies, what they eat, what they need etc. I have to say that we were absoluely astounded by what we learnt.

From the moment he fell over trying to clean himself, we were in love.

I know there are, as you say, lots of people that dont care or cant see it but this site alone has shown me that we are not alone in feeling real love for the little furries.

Lack of awareness and ignorance i think. People are all too quick to know rescues exist when they want to hand a bunny in but when it comes to getting one its the total opposite and even when people do know about the rescues they still go to pet shops :roll: I could talk about it till i'm blue in the face but it wouldn't make a difference to most people *sighs*

Yes there is a lack of awareness imo. I wasn't aware of any rabbit rescues other than RSPCA before I found RU, I adopted two of my buns from Pets at Home adoption centre, and the only reason I found out about RSPCA was when I was getting Lara my puddy tat. I wish there was more awareness. :cry:

I agree with this....I only knew of RSPCA and after searching the net came across Kays Bunny hop hotel, rang her and she told me about RU...heck a world I never knew existed!!...yes and I rehomed Oscar aka Aiden from fatfluffs:D:D

I never knew about rescues before RU. I knew about the RSPCA and pets at home, thats it.
I used to breed, but as soon as I joined RU and saw how many buns were in rescues I stopped straight away. I wish I would of researched before i started breeding, but I do admit it was just ignorance.

I agree with this....I only knew of RSPCA and after searching the net came across Kays Bunny hop hotel, rang her and she told me about RU...heck a world I never knew existed!!...yes and I rehomed Oscar aka Aiden from fatfluffs:D:D

I'm good at rehoming rabbits for all other rescues:lol::lol::lol:
Really wish I had one suitable for you at the time as it would have had a brilliant home:D

This makes me sad...

I don't know anything about it... PLEASE tell me...

and as always... if there is anything I can do in terms of promotion for a rescue, i will.

http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/ this is a link to the MMC website. MMC is aimed at raising awareness of improving rabbit welfare through education and also raising awareness of impulse purchase of rabbits which normally ends up bringing misery to many rabbits in this county.

The campaign is currently focussing on a three year plan, culminating in the call for an amnesty of rabbit sales during the Easter period:

Easter 2009 - Establish the Make Mine Chocolate!™ campaign in the UK
Easter 2010 - Introduce the Make Mine Chocolate!™ chocolate bunny
Easter 2011 - Call for a nationwide amnesty of rabbit sales during Easter

So is the consensus that the public are aware of dog and cat rescues but not those for other animals? And if so, what channels are the former using to spread awareness that rabbit rescues aren't?

So is the consensus that the public are aware of dog and cat rescues but not those for other animals?

I think that must be true to at least some extent. Everyone I've told about getting my Jester from BARC has said something like 'oh, i've never heard of rabbit rescues before'.

But, I also think that there's a strong element of 'can't be bothered' in this too - it's so much easier to go into a pet shop and take home a cheap bundle of fluff than it is to take the time to research and contact rescues, have a homecheck, spend money on suitable accommodation etc. No wonder so many people won't take the time to properly research the care needs of rabbits when it's so easy and cheap to replace them :(

And let's face it, there is a chronic lack of information on proper bunny care out there when you consider that many vets still advocate not neutering, pet shops and breeders often say the same and tell people that keeping single bunnies in small housing is absolutely fine etc. And how many of us on here admit to knowing virtually nothing about proper bunny care before we found this site?

What makes me the most sad is when people who do know better still choose to go to a breeder or petshop to get a new rabbit rather than a rescue :(

I'm not perfect, my Daisy came from a breeder :oops: (who I found before i found RU, and I agonised over whether to still get her). BUT knowing what I now know about bunnies I would never go anywhere but to a rescue in the future.

Anyway, I think there is a very real need for more and more campaigning and information dissemination (like MMC).

Why don't we have a promotion of rabbit rescues week.

All of our statuses on facebook to say that we are supporting Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week.

All rescue sites put up a new Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week pages etc.

And someone who is a bit smarter than me to make some Rabbit Rescue Awareness Week bages, directing people to this website and saying 'every year thousands of rabbits are abandoned, deserted or killed'?

What do you think? :?

I'm not really sure as I talk to people about my rescue animals and volunteer work and they are always surprised that small furries are in rescues.

I find that odd as I didn't consider getting my animals from anywhere else. I'm not sure how I found out about rescues as I never lived near one until now, maybe my research was so thorough in the years leading upto me getting my rabbits that I saw it mentioned and decided that's what I was going to do. Maybe people just don't do enough research to find out about it.

I don't really understand why people are put off using a rescue, I found it really helpful that someone ensured I had all the information I needed and checked my accommodation to ensure it was suitable then gave me a pair of bonded rabbits who had all the treatment they needed for the following 6 months.

I think with some planning, that could be excellent. There is a hugely wide potential for something like this if carefully thought out and organised properly.

Note the time and date, I might have had my first sensible idea!

I wonder if my firm might be willing to offer a little bit of capital if our logo is on one or two of the items? If we formulate some more plans, maybe I could approach them.

I am a terrible organiser, do you know who is good at these things on here Sky-O?

Note the time and date, I might have had my first sensible idea!

I wonder if my firm might be willing to offer a little bit of capital if our logo is on one or two of the items? If we formulate some more plans, maybe I could approach them.

I am a terrible organiser, do you know who is good at these things on here Sky-O?

*applauds*

I know of some people, but I'm wondering if this should be a forum run thing, or something to do with the RWA, if its through the forum then that would need probably a team of people to sort out the various areas, if its done via RWA then it would be a case of presenting the idea and then handing it over to them. I guess it depends on what we would want to achieve, and how.

Hmm, yes I think you are right.

I have emailed a lady from the RWA before, I think I still have her email address (as I am in Horsham, where the RWA is, I think).

Perhaps I ought to see what her thoughts are? :?

Back