• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

couple of questions about new bunny!

jessica*rabbit

Warren Scout
our beautiful new bunny has finally arrived, been with us about a week. we rescued her from a home, and she had been to the vets that morning for her jabs so if there had been something the matter he would have noticed surely?

anyway, she seems to breath really fast, like panting, but she does it all the time. and sometimes she has a little bit of a wet nose. she seems happy, lounging on us, giving us licks and hopping between me and my partner for cuddles, this is why i confused.

she also grinds her teeth, sometimes in a purring way, which i understand to mean contentment. but other times its like shes chewing on something hard, its almost a cracking sound, but shes happy! doesnt seem in pain!

and one more thing, on her bum there are small clumps of hair that can be pulled out when grooming, is this possibly her moulting to get used to the new warmth shes now in (was in a hutch, now a house rabbit)

sorry about the long post, im just a worried bunny mummy!

Last edited:
Firstly welcome to the forum and get used to worrying it comes with being a bunny mummy!! :lol:

If she has been to the vet and all these 'symptoms' were visiable when she went then I would not worry as if there had been an issue the vet would have picked up on it on examination.

Bunnies do tend to breath fast but you need to determin whether her breathing is actually 'too fast' what may be a good idea is if you could post a video on the forum then we can have a look.
Sometimes they do pant a bit when they have had a mad five mins or been active for a while and need to rest.

They sometimes do have a slightly damp nose when they have been breathing fast or having a snuggle and been doing a bit of nose dribbling, BUT sometimes a constant wet nose CAN indicate a respitory infection like snuffles, so keep and eye out and if in doubt call your vet.

Tooth grinding can take on too forms form 1 being the happy grind which as you rightly said is like a purr, this is a sign of contentment, form 2 is a much louder sort of grind, not like the purr which can sound like 'chattering' the loud grind is not a nice sound and you would know if it was a painful grind.

They do tend to get quite 'tufty' around their bum and tail, this is normal so do not worry, just try and groom her daily to prevent over ingestion of fur.

I hope I have put your mind slightly at ease. :wave:

Last edited:
yes thankyou! she seems happy, if there was anything serious i think id be able to tell. its just this teeth grinding thing, its like shes chewing on a nut or something, like a cracking noise. if it carrys on i might pop her into the vet to check her teeth x

Back