• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pasteurella

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
When i took Dandy vets tonight i said he got a snotty nose,As he had the same this time last year,When the weather got cold and damp she said yes its quite common its Pasteurella infection? She didnt seem concerned but i thought this is highly contagious?:shock:

As far as I know, most bunnies carry the Pastuerella bacteria, but it is generally kept under control by their immune system, and when their immune system gets low, then the bacteria multiply and cause the infection your bun is experiencing. I would imagine that the risk would be to those bunnies with a compromised immune system, however, there is always a risk of passing it on another bunny and them showing the infection.

my bridge bun ralph had pastruella. he lived beside ted, ted and petal didn't catch it. i wouldn't say it's not transferrable but alot of the time it isn't. i hope he gets treatment and makes a full recovery.

Back