• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help

Kevh

New Kit
I am in need of advice, is it safe to build a rabbit hutch using tanalised wood?

There seems to be conflicting advice over the internet, where some wood suppliers do not use the CCA treated wood.

Is there a difference between types of tanalised wood?

I am going to contact my wood supplier tomorrow and check with them.

But advice would be great.

Thanks

I am in need of advice, is it safe to build a rabbit hutch using tanalised wood?

There seems to be conflicting advice over the internet, where some wood suppliers do not use the CCA treated wood.

Is there a difference between types of tanalised wood?

I am going to contact my wood supplier tomorrow and check with them.

But advice would be great.

Thanks

I'm not sure, but I'd try posting in rabbit chat, this section is for if your having problems with the forum :lol:

Certainly for koi carp you shouldn't use tanalised or pressure treated wood as this is oil based and leaches either during rain or if licked etc. So I would steer clear rabbits or any other animals
I would use hard wood or plywood and then coat it with animal safe preservative.
Good luck with whatever you decide

Unless your timber merchant can tell you exactly what it was treated with (highly unlikely) and you know it's safe, I wouldn't touch it. Too much leaching, and for anything to do with animals, there are a vast array of non-toxic wood preservatives around, that you can apply yourself.

Much aprecaited, I already have built some hurches and am in the process of building a 3 tier breeder. I told my wood merchant what I would be using it for and he had no concerns. I will phone them in the morning.

It's people on E-bay sticking their noses in and reporting me to E-bay without speaking to me first that have me wound up.

I am aware of animal safe preservatives and use them.

I am concerned about the using the wood to build the hutches.

I'll keep the post updated and let you know tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Im brand new to Rabbits United.

The wood is very cheap, but my conscience wouldn't let me build them a home that's poisonous to them.

Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We can confirm that TANALISED E pressure treated timber is suitable for use in a rabbit hutch.

Prior to use, you should ensure that the timber is in a dry condition; two weeks post treatment is usually sufficient time to allow for drying although this is weather and storage condition dependent.

Please see our Code of Practice and Consumer Information Sheet for more information on the use of TANALISED E pressure treated timber.

We trust that this information is helpful; if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Sandra Gray

Customer Support

Arch Timber Protection

Tel: 01977 717139

That plus the government guideline and also the same advice direct from the company that treats the wood before it goes to my wood merchant.

Thanks anyway guys.

=]

I trust you do know that CCA stands for chromated copper arsenate, i.e it contains copper and arsenic. Any outdoor treated timber will leach the treating chemicals particularly with rain. When handling these products it is recommended not to handle without gloves as the arsenic can transfer. Therefore I would not let any animal have contact with it, particularly a gnawing animal such as a rabbit.:shock:

Back