• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing - Gah!

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
Phoebe has recently become a chewer.. She's now almost 4 months old, and has decided that the skirting boards must go.. She only developed this little habit in the last few days, but has had a good go at the skirting in the "rodent room", and has also tried to destroy a really nice wooden cabinet in my hall!
The worst thing is, she's a bad influence on Nermal, who's never showed even the slightest bit of interest in chewing but now if she's eating the cabinet, so is he! I only discovered what they were doing a few nights ago when Nermal jumped on my lap to lick my nose and he was suspisciously piney-fresh...... (he also eats the pot pourri, and if I don't catch him in the act then I know when he comes over to me smelling of roses..)
I've given Phoebe loads of wooden chews now, which she's been really keen on, so i'm hoping that this will keep her occupied enough to leave the house alone, but what I really want to know is will she by habit go back to the same spots? And is there anything I can put on the areas she's already had a go at to stop her trying again? I know orange/lemon peel is supposed to work for cats and dogs but I reckon the buns would just eat things like that...! Help!

Reading what other people have written, there's nothing you can do in terms of putting bad-tasting stuff on the skirting boards. That just encourages them. You could cover the skirting boards perhaps, for example with cardboard, then your rabbit will chew that instead. Hopefully she'll calm down a bit as she grows up. Our rabbits chew everything at least once to try it, but they also have their favourite spots. I put branches or twigs from our trees in the garden out for them to chew, that way they've got something yummier than skirting boards to get their teeth into. I think it works as the marks on the furniture and skirting boards haven't been getting any worse recently.

Back