• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you send Hay back because its "Naff"???

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I bought the girls a bag of hay yesterday - usual place etc and the only one they really like - usually very long strands and very green, its hand-stuffed into large plastic bags

When i bought it i thought it looked a bit more brown and crinkly than usual, and when i got it home i realised it really wasnt that great. But i'd opened the bag by then so tried it out, but the girls really arent interested in eating it

just wondering if anyone know if you can return hay? its not branded or anything. how can you demonstrate that its not up to its usual standard?

I would certainly take it back if it was substandard - I've done it with hay that smelled a bit mushroomy, if its just that your buns don't like it you may have more problem but maybe not if you are a regular. I usually buy a bale now and of course they love the soft green ones, if the new one is stalkyer they take a day to get used to it usually.

I have returned open BALES to the Farm I buy my hay from. I just say 'Sorry, quality control (AKA my Buns :D) have rejected this bale. I am sent a replacement with my next order.

So I'd say take the hay back, as you are a regular customer they should take your complaint seriously and not just think you are taking the wee wee :)

If it feels damp or smells of mould, then I'd definitely take it back. Hay quality varies with the weather, and how long it has to dry, etc.. It's tricky to always get exactly the same quality.

If it feels damp or smells of mould, then I'd definitely take it back. Hay quality varies with the weather, and how long it has to dry, etc.. It's tricky to always get exactly the same quality.

thats my problem - i think they'll just say there is normal variation in quality, especially in winter and with all this rain etc

Its not that near to me so i cant just pop down the road - guess i could give them a ring?

I took back a bag of hay,I thought it looked a bit brown but I was in a hurry.Got it home,it smelt funny.The buns wouldnt even go into their haybox with it there so I took it back.Now I get a bale from the farm just up from me,they let me inspect it before buying.Lovely green, sweet smelling hay a bargain at £4.50. All the buns love it [even the ones who were not brilliant hay eaters]I'll never buy in a bag from a shop again.

Back