• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental recovery time

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. My rabbit had his first dental last Wednesday, so 6 days ago. He bounced back from the anaesthetic well and has been his lively usual self. It has taken him a while for his eating to return to normal, he is now eating pellets and veggies like before, but he isn't eating hay anywhere near like he used to. His poos are the same size as before but are much darker, they used to be perfectly golden.

I was wondering if this is because he isn't used to the feel of his new teeth? I have been given metacam, metaclop by the vet but I have not given him any the last few days.

I have spoken to the vet who said that he isn't in pain as he is so lively and that he is on his way to being back to his normal habits.

I'm just wondering if it has taken anyone elses bunnies this long to start munching as much hay as before again?

Thanks! :)

Comfrey seems to vary - this last time he was really really really slow - and then we found that not all had been dealt with and he had to go in again.

Thanks for your replies. I will call the vets again and see what they say, he was eating more hay before the dental than he is now! He only had very small spurs aswell.

It doesn't seem to make much sense!

ETA- Called the vets, they said to reduce/stop his veg intake and see if his hay eating improves and if not to call again. He also only gets 1 level teaspoon of pellets a day.

Poor little Charlie! I'm going to go and get him some different hay today to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Thumper only has tiny spurs. His jaws don't meet properly. His basic issue is not drinking water comfortably so he won't eat hay unless he can drink, & turns to veges for fluid intake. I'm told that this is unusual, but worth considering.

It takes him about 10 days after a dental to really go for hay. It's always when he starts drinking a lot. He'll really go for green oat hay but the rascal tends to eat the seed heads & leave the stems! I agree with you that it takes them time to get used to a different occlusion. It also depends on whether there was any mouth ulceration.

Whenever a bun eats the chlorophyl in green plants (even grass) their poops are much darker.
I wouldn't worry about it unless there are squidgy uneaten caecotrophs, just keep on encouraging hay.

Thumper only has tiny spurs. His jaws don't meet properly. His basic issue is not drinking water comfortably so he won't eat hay unless he can drink, & turns to veges for fluid intake. I'm told that this is unusual, but worth considering.

It takes him about 10 days after a dental to really go for hay. It's always when he starts drinking a lot. He'll really go for green oat hay but the rascal tends to eat the seed heads & leave the stems! I agree with you that it takes them time to get used to a different occlusion. It also depends on whether there was any mouth ulceration.

Whenever a bun eats the chlorophyl in green plants (even grass) their poops are much darker.
I wouldn't worry about it unless there are squidgy uneaten caecotrophs, just keep on encouraging hay.

Thanks! :) I am encouraging him to eat as much hay as possible, hopefully it goes back to normal soon-this can't be good for the wear of the teeth. I really hope he doesn't need a dental anytime soon :(

Charlie does this aswell- he loves the seed heads and I get really excited when I see him eating a big bit of hay, only for him to drop the stem out of his mouth when he has eaten the seed! :roll:

It really depends if there was any soft tissue damage done by the teeth before the dental. If the bunny has a sore tongue or cheeks from where spurs have rubbed it can take quite a while for them to heal. Also some bunnies seem to be more sensative to dental pain than others. Did the vet give you any post op pain relief for your bunny to give at home?

Back