• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dark outhouses

beki

Mama Doe
i have a brick outhouse that is currently a mess. I am considering putting the bunny hutch in there, the only prob is it has a tiny window and no electricity so gets a bit dark in there. My boyfriend said i cant put the hutch in there as it is cruel to put them in the dark, whcih OK i agree it isn't nice but surely dim light (as it does get some light in there during the day) is better than the cold and rain? what does anyone think? if a bunny is in a shed it would have dimmer light anyway.

Although in reality i would never be able to get the hutches in the outhouse without a huge sort out, whcih would take me so long it would be summer by the time i am done! lol

It is said that bunnies need some sun light otherwise they CAN get brittle bones.
Are you planning on letting them out for at least 4 hours a day so they can have some light or is it a matter of keeping them in the out house non stop? If it is the latte then I think your boyfriend is right but if they would only be in there for sleep time and when you are not about then it should not be a problem.

Can you have a bigger window fitted, add a mesh door (presuming there's a snug hutch inside) and shut the full door just at night, or have a hole to an outside run?

humm, it would be all day, and i don't get home til it is dark so they would only have sunlight on the weekends.

it is the middle room of three, the ones either end being a toilet and a very narrow room about 3 foot wide. I would be worried about structurally changing the window at this time although it is somthing i would want to do in the future. Perhaps not the best idea for this winter then :( also i have just noticed tonight that we have a leak in there, one of two things, it is either from the sink or water is coming through under the door, so perhaps not the nicest home for bunnies :(

Back