• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit drinking from bottle help pls

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I really want Sooty to drink from a bottle but she refuses, she just looks at me in disgust, ive even tried putting banana on the spout which she just licks off..

she doesnt drink a lot but has a bowl which she just tips up as soon as i put it in which
1) makes her litter tray wet
2) leaves her without water for several hours

Any tips??

I don't have any tips, but before i discovered RU it never occurred to me bunnies could use bowls (due to my own ignorance:oops:) and so they've had bottles from the start. They now have both, the majority prefer the bowl but some still use the bottle over the bowl. Hope you find a solution asap! Sooty is such a beauty :love::love:

yes i also tried giving my bun a water bottle but he completely ignores it. I use a dish, its like the white semi circle ones used in bird cages for food but larger and it just hooks onto the side of his house to keep it up off the ground but its just the right height for him to drink out of easy.

Use a large ceramic dog bowl and then she can't tip that over. I think bunnies tend to drink more from a bowl than a bottle anyway - all mine have bowls :)

The only problem with bowls is when they jump in it, and then flick water at you- they're pretty accurate! :roll::lol:

What do you feed them? G + P have always had a bottle, but since their hay/veg only diet they've not used it at all - they get plenty of water from the vegetables. I'm sure that as long as she knows it's there, when she gets thirsty she'll use it.

yes i also tried giving my bun a water bottle but he completely ignores it. I use a dish, its like the white semi circle ones used in bird cages for food but larger and it just hooks onto the side of his house to keep it up off the ground but its just the right height for him to drink out of easy.

Thats a good idea i will try that! thanks

Use a large ceramic dog bowl and then she can't tip that over. I think bunnies tend to drink more from a bowl than a bottle anyway - all mine have bowls :)

she does have a ceramic bowl already which she manages to tip over :roll:

What do you feed them? G + P have always had a bottle, but since their hay/veg only diet they've not used it at all - they get plenty of water from the vegetables. I'm sure that as long as she knows it's there, when she gets thirsty she'll use it.

they have veggies in morning, hay all day and pellets in evening

I got our 3 babies from the pet shop, the main reason was because I could see them struggling to get water out of a bottle. when I got them home, they drank 3 bowls of water straight off, they were so dehydrated. Also, it hurts their little tougues to get the water out as they have to use it to push to ball out of the way.

I would never use a bottle. I know that its extra work with a bowl but at least they get all the water they need

Coop cups......I wouldn't be without one now!
I get the one with a bolt rather than a hook as they then cant pick it up and throw it around.

Back