• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i doing more harm than good?

Ive been thinking this for a while, we have 4 house bunnies, 2 live on the upstairs floor and 2 live downstairs.

We have no heating in our house except from 2 oil filled radiators (one upstairs one down) which i wont leave on when we are not at home. So when we are home they go on (and then off when we go to sleep)...

Am i messing with their temperature too much?. it goes from very cold to low/medium heat (the radiators are not that good). But lilly more so than anybun else seems to feel the change, she starts breathing faster than usual, and takes to her cage. The house is freezing to me even with the heating being on:cry:.

But i dont want to be harming my babies?.

my bunnies are at home without heating all day, and i warm the place up a bit when i come home in the evening. they bask in front of the fire. they seem to like it.

If they lived outside then the temperature would be colder at night than it is during the day, so they're able to tolerate some fluctuation in temperature.

I'd say that so long as you're not doing a dramatic fluctuation e'g from 2 degrees up to18degrees, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Becky,

Take it from me! You are a brilliant home and your bunnies are so very lucky! Please don't worry, you and Rich have it spot on!

I do know what you mean. We have two cats in the spare room, (all rescues are full) and I am fiddling about and worrying. And, do you know what, they are fine.

I saw where precious Sophie came from. Believe you me, she is one lucky rabbit. Thank goodness I met you both.

Alice xx

PS You both know what a hardened bully I am. Well, I am practising.....

Thankyou for your replies:). Im just such a fuss pot when it comes to the little ones (seem to worry about everything and anything when it comes to them).

Alice we were the lucky ones to find you and the beautiful SophieAnnie, we will always be forever grateful to you for letting us adopt her. You do such wonderful work and are always in our thoughts. xxx

If I had bunnies in my garden right now, the sun is blazing, so the temperature difference between now and last night would be huge. That has to be a lot more than the difference you describe.

Also bunnies that are permanently indoors won't have the 'wind chill factor' or the risk of getting soaked through from heavy rain, so the variation between the two isn't as stark, and the changes in temperature are much more gradual so they don't have a 'shock' that a bunny that's been in a warm house all day would get if it was then put outside at night.

Back