PDA

View Full Version : Garage lighting

footballgirl
30-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi,

My rabbit lives in the garage, well basically owns the garage with the amount of space she has :lol:

Anyway, we keep the lights on in the garage all day, especially winter time, but there the fluorescent tube lights and with them being on all day, electricity bill isnt liking it:(. Plus i would prefer something more energy efficient.

So if anybody has any suggestion of lighting would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks.

Tamsin
30-11-2009, 06:58 PM
LEDs are probably cheapest electricity wise or normal energy saving bulbs. Any chance of fitting a window?

footballgirl
30-11-2009, 07:11 PM
LEDs are probably cheapest electricity wise or normal energy saving bulbs. Any chance of fitting a window?

Sadly no. Garage is attached to our kitchen one side and my neighbours living room on the other side. On the back of the garage we have a laundry room with window, so its ok in the summer months because the sun hits that window and brightens up the garage. Just winter time, its so dark:(

My dad was thinking Spotlights with LED bulbs in.

Thanks

Tamsin
30-11-2009, 08:12 PM
LED spots sound a good idea :) Rabbits are most active in twilight so you don't need to mimic full summer blazing sunlight, they'd probably like it more subdued.

Stator
30-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I think flourescent lights are actually the most energy efficient, but if you have one of the larger ones you could probably get a smaller one. The large ones can use up to 70W. You could put a standard bayonet fitting up and use a normal energy saving lightbulb of about 8W or 12W. If you're leaving it on all day I'm afraid solar lighting wouldn't work, they're only good for a few hours max.