• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run acsess 24 hours?

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Im having my cat flaps fitted later so the bunnies can get in and out the shed/run on there own,Does anyone with this type of setup let them have acsess 24hours a day?

:wave: We have something similar - a hutch built over/in a large run, and our pair have 24 hour access down into the run.

We didn't let them have 24 hour access at first til we were sure they knew their way up and down, and came up for food etc!

It depends how secure your run is. If it is totally secure with no way for it to be dug under from inside or out, no possible way of jumping over the top, lifting the run up or bending / breaking wood to create a hole, then yes I would let them have access all the time, except when it drops below zero. Mine have access to theirs all the time, but they have a complete mesh/panel cube with no way in or out.

All mine have permanent run access. Thankfully we have no predators around here, which is a blessing (or we would have to rethink the whole everything). The bunnies love having access all the time. I only restrict access if it is super cold (generally one or two degrees below freezing).

It depends how secure your run is. If it is totally secure with no way for it to be dug under from inside or out, no possible way of jumping over the top, lifting the run up or bending / breaking wood to create a hole, then yes I would let them have access all the time, except when it drops below zero. Mine have access to theirs all the time, but they have a complete mesh/panel cube with no way in or out.

Yeah its secure:)
100_0372.jpg

All mine who have hutch/run combos have 24 hour access. I tend to think if the run is secure enough to be left in the day then it should be secure enough to be left at night :)

My bunnies have access 24 hours. They seem to take it in turns. It's like they're keeping a look out. If I wake up in the middle of the night I look out and there's always one of them jumping about or just sitting staring waiting for daytime and breakfast to come lol

All mine have secure sheds and runs, but I still prefer to lock them in at night - don't think I could sleep if they were out,but guess they'd quite like it:oops:

Mine have 24/7 access to their sheds and runs, whatever the weather. They love to sit outside when it's 10 degrees below zero :lol::lol: I figure they have free will to go inside into the snuggly warm but they choose to sit outside in the icy cold - that's obviously where they prefer to be :roll:

Back