• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Evie is at it again.

daisydoo

New Kit
A couple of weeks ago Evie my 2 1/2 year old rabbit had an episode of gut stasis which she was hospitalised for. She made a full recovery but today is showing the classic signs of gut statsis again. I have a vets appointment in a couple of hours.
She is an outside rabbit and has access to her covered run 24 hours a day, which she insists on sitting in whatever the weather. As it was a pretty cold night here last night I am starting to wonder if it is the exposure to cold weather that is upsetting her. Any thoughts?

Jane x

Mine is an indoor bun so hopefully an outdoor bun owner can help with your question.

That said, Bob has had a number of stasis cases (2 of which he has been hospitalised for). :(

I was wondering what you feed Evie? Do you give lots of cauliflower, carrot, sprouts etc? Sometimes certain vegetables and cause gas. We think this was Bob's main problem so had to change his diet (he now gets no veg other than a slice of apple once a week). :(

Does she eat lots of hay? That's really important for keeping stasis at bay.

Also, did the vet check her teeth when she was in last time? Dental spurs can cause discomfort when eating and buns therefore either stop altogether or reduce consumption (both of which leading to stasis).

Good luck with the vet appointment. Hopefully they'll be bun savvy enough to look at all the other possibilities of the cause. Let us know.

Hi, Evie did have her teeth checked last time she was ill & all was fine. She eats plenty of Timothy Hay (has access to it 24/7). Veg wise she has a leaf of spring green & a piece of broccoli that she shares with her sister each day. Occasionally as a treat she will have a small piece of carrot or apple. They also share 4 tablespoons of pellets a day.

Is carrot a veg that is known to cause gas, as Evie did have a small piece yesterday.

I currently have 13 outdoor bunnies (who have permanent run access) and we have not yet ever had a stasis issue. I have some sensitive buns and some super hard ones.

Stasis is always secondary to something else, so you're doing the right thing by looking at the causes. I would be thinking about food (if she has had any new foods in the last 24 hours), physical problems (such as teeth, as previously mentioned), also stress (such as a predator).

Carrot can upset the guts of some bunnies because it is so sugary, so that is a huge possibility.

Is she currently inside?

Have returned from the vets. Evie did nibble a small amount of hay whilst in the waiting room. The vet felt that her bowel did feel a little 'doughy' and gave her gut stimulant injections ( zantac & metochlopromide). She also gave her NSAID painkiller injection. Since getting home Evie has eaten some hay, basil, dandelion leaves and a small piece of broccoli and has drunk some water. Initially she seemed quite lively but has become quite subdued again and not pooed yet. I have a follow up appointment with the vet tomorrow morning but am to contact the emergency vet tonight if she deteriorates or doesn't poo by 9pm

Have returned from the vets. Evie did nibble a small amount of hay whilst in the waiting room. The vet felt that her bowel did feel a little 'doughy' and gave her gut stimulant injections ( zantac & metochlopromide). She also gave her NSAID painkiller injection. Since getting home Evie has eaten some hay, basil, dandelion leaves and a small piece of broccoli and has drunk some water. Initially she seemed quite lively but has become quite subdued again and not pooed yet. I have a follow up appointment with the vet tomorrow morning but am to contact the emergency vet tonight if she deteriorates or doesn't poo by 9pm

Sounds as though you have a good Vet :)

Sending vibes for Evie

xx

Back